steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Gottschalk, Ricordati op.26

Post by steltz »

This work:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Ricordati,_Op.26_ ... _Moreau%29

is described as a meditation, a nocturne, and a ballade. WorldCat lists it as "Rayons et ombres : ballades pour le piano. No. 2, Ricordati".

IMSLP has other of Gottschalk's Ballades (nos. 6-8), with Ballade as the work title.

Should this be treated the same?
bsteltz
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Gottschalk, Ricordati op.26

Post by Davydov »

Not an easy one this, but the score uploaded from Sibley has the subtitle "Méditation pour le piano", and Pazdirek's listing also gives "Mediation" as the only subtitle.

One of the online catalogues gives the subtitle "Nocturne-Romance-Méditation", while also styling it as a "Ballade"! Grove describes it as "nocturne, méditation". None of them back up that Worldcat reference to "Rayons et ombres".

So, on balance, "meditations" seems to be only tag they all agree on, and I've updated it accordingly.

An object lesson for anyone who thinks that tagging is easy! :)
steltz
active poster

Re: Gottschalk, Ricordati op.26

Post by steltz »

I think my main concern was that they were considered a set, but considering that they all have different opus numbers, I guess not. In this case, many later publishers seem to have added their own ideas as to what it is!!
Davydov wrote:An object lesson for anyone who thinks that tagging is easy!
Speaking of which, sorry for all the weird questions lately - I had some time, and started going through untagged ones (though the Gottschalk one came through the daily uploads). This always involves finding works that no one has had the time to tag because of all the strange research needed to find all the correct tags. And that brings up more questions than answers sometimes . . .

And we haven't even really started going through the generic "moderatos" or "andantes" that come from unnamed larger works. Pandora's box . . . .
bsteltz