Any posts related to the categorization and standardization of IMSLP

Moderators: vinteuil, Davydov

steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Grand choeur

Post by steltz »

Is an organ Grand Choeur a chorale or a chorus?
bsteltz
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Grand choeur

Post by Davydov »

A chorale.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Thanks. I just noticed that it is in our list as a chorus, I will change it. In any case, there was a lot of confusion over this, and many are tagged as pieces. I will go through the list in the next few days and correct what needs to be corrected.

Woops, just saw that MLA uses "chorus" -- do we need to reconsider?
bsteltz
Jean-Séb
forum adept

Post by Jean-Séb »

I am afraid I disagree. Grand Choeur is not a Chorale (un choral, in French), but an piece of organ in a style and registration originally supposed to imitate a "grand choeur", a full choir.
Si sur un clavier, on ajoute aux fonds de 16, 8 et 4 pieds le tutti d'anches bombarde-trompette-clairon-basson et un plein jeu ou une forte doublette, l'effet est alors appelé grand chœur. Sur une plan sonore expressif, quand cette même registration est utilisée boîte fermée, il est alors appelé demi grand chœur et donne une sensation de puissance sourde et lointaine très prisée dans les œuvres concertantes à partir du XIXe siècle.
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registrati ... ch.C5.93ur

I believe that "Grand Chorus" maybe the English translation.
http://www.organstops.org/g/GrandChorus.html
Last edited by Jean-Séb on Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

Hi Steltz. There's a difference between "Grand choeur" and "Choeur". If we're specifically talking about solo organ works, then the translation is "chorale".

As for new tags, I've reviewed the MLA list and put some proposals here, with a space for discussion on that page (as the new wiki talk feature isn't as user-friendly as the old one!)
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

Jean-Séb - I've just seen your message while writing my response to Steltz, and your view concurs with Grove about it being a particular style of organ playing, not a chorale. I will research it further to see whether it should be counted as a new work category for IMSLP's purposes.