Any posts related to the categorization and standardization of IMSLP

Moderators: vinteuil, Davydov

steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Frysian language

Post by steltz »

Does anyone know how close this language is to German? It is Germanic, but how individual?

This work: http://imslp.org/wiki/Wyn_fan_de_Draak, ... MSLP308815 needs a language tag. The ISO table doesn't include Frysian, so it the closest German?
bsteltz
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Frysian language

Post by Davydov »

There's some information on Wikipedia, but it's still not entirely clear whether this is one language or three:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisian_languages
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

The UNESCO Atlas of the World's Languages in Danger reports North Frisian and West Frisian as actual languages, although details and an ISO 639-3 code (frr) are only provided for North Frisian. According to Wikipedia codes exist also for Western Frisian (fry) and Eastern Frisian (frs).

Max
Notenschreiber
active poster

Post by Notenschreiber »

The eastern frisian language has nearly died off, today only 1000-2500 persons are speaking it. Compare the article
in german wikpedia: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friesische_Sprachen
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

I have added a post on the composer's discussion page to ask him which of the three it is, and we will take it from there.
bsteltz
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

The composer has replied that it is in Western Frysian, so I have tagged it "fry". As per another thread, I also tagged "acl" for alto clarinet, since we have a tag for alto flute.
bsteltz
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

Thanks. There was some disagreement though about what constituted an alto clarinet, so we can't introduce a tag for it just yet.
tim.willis1685
regular poster

Post by tim.willis1685 »

This is an interesting topic. I hope you won't mind my two-cents. In English, the standard spelling is "Frisian", in their own language, it's "Frysk". I've not heard of "Frysian". Perhaps it's a hybrid of the two?
It is the closest living language to English. It's in the same sub-branch of Germanic as English, but not German or Dutch. The different dialects of Frisian developed from contact with neighbouring majority languages (Dutch, German, Danish)
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

Whatever may be decided about the language, the alto clarinet part of the score seems to be miswritten, both as to transposition and range.