Any posts related to the categorization and standardization of IMSLP

Moderators: vinteuil, Davydov

steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

broschi/farinelli, sabrina

Post by steltz »

Sabrina is listed as a pastiche, so RISM has excerpts only, not the whole. Still, 3 of those 4 are by Pescetti, and only one is by Broschi/Farinelli. It looks as if Broschi/Farinelli only contributed the one aria to this pastiche. Should the page for Sabrina be under Broschi/Farinelli's name? We have a page for Pescetti.

[edit] The same situation exists with Il Natal di Giove, which RISM lists under Gaetano Latilla's name, with "Inserts" by Farinelli. And Le Cinesi is by Conforto with inserts by Farinelli.

By the way we don't mention on our composer page for Broschi that he is Farinelli. His birth name was Broschi, but RISM refers to him as Farinelli, and Grove Music, when you type in Broschi, gives a link to Farinelli, so the information is given under the career name.

[edit] A similar situation exists with the brother, Riccardo Broschi, and Artaserse, which is also a pastiche, and it seems Riccardo Broschi might have only done 2 arias, though I am still researching to find out exactly how many composers were involved.
[2nd edit] Broschi contributed to the Hasse setting of Artaserse, and we already have a page for that work.

So the question is: how to deal with these 4 specifically, and how to deal with pastiches generally?
bsteltz
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Re: broschi/farinelli, sabrina

Post by Davydov »

An RISM search on "Sabrina" brings up Pescetti, Farinelli and Johann Adolph Hesse as co-composers of "Sabrina" (and it's possible there were others). So I've treated it as a collaborative work and moved it to http://imslp.org/wiki/Sabrina_(Various), with links from each of the composer categories.

If you're able to ascertain that the other pastiches were also collaborations, then the same solution should work for them too.

I've alo added "Farinelli" as one of the alternative names for Broschi, but not a redirect from the name because we have an unrelated Giuseppe Farinelli too :!:
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Thanks for this. Is there a minimum input we require for it to be collaborative? I'm thinking of the one where Handel seems to have written only one aria, and RISM doesn't call it "excerpts", they say "insertion" aria, which I presume means it was a one-off.

Also, I need to re-tag this now. RISM says "Pasticcios, Opern". We don't have a tag for pastiches, so

1) if RISM gives another option do we use that, and
2) what if RISM gives no other option, what do we tag a pastiche then?
bsteltz
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

Pastiches haven't made it into the MLA list, and ''Grove'' has multiple definitions, but classifying them all as types of opera:
(i) Revival with substitutions; arias by various composers are substituted for pieces thought unsuitable for the available singers;
(ii) True pasticcio:
- (a) a patchwork in which singers, librettist or impresario fill out an existing libretto entirely with arie di bagaglio ('suitcase' arias), or
- (b) a composite original, in which diverse arias by several composers are fashioned into a new plot;
(iii) a composer patchwork: a composer incorporated his own arias, old or new, into another's score
(iv) a self-pastiche: an amalgam of a composer's own arias in a new context
They also mention collaborations between composers, where they take an act or two each, noting that these are comparatively unusual, which we'll call type "(v)"

So far as the attributions are concerned, I think:
  • Types (ii) and (v) should have "Various" as the author, with links to the categories of the (two or more) composers involved. If the identity of the persons who stitched everything together are known, they can be listed as arrangers.
  • Types (i), (iii), (iv), where there is one 'dominant' composer, should go under that composer's name, with links to the categories of the other composers involved. Again, if the work was done by someone other than the composer, they would be the editor.
We could create a 'pasticcios' tag based on these definitions, but it would remain a sub-category of operas.

How does all that sound?
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Sounds good.
bsteltz