Any posts related to the categorization and standardization of IMSLP

Moderators: vinteuil, Davydov

steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

RISM abbreviations

Post by steltz »

Does anyone know how to access the RISM list of sources?

Grove uses RISM abbreviations, for example, in citing where a madrigal comes from, it might say "1596" with the superscript "8". Maybe I'm being thick, but I can't find on the RISM website what publication this is.

I'm trying to tag a Peter Philips madrigal, but we only have an arrangement, and I need to verify the original.

I've had this issue before, where an original source might be available on IMSLP if I can just find out what the title is. It would be nice to know how to do it.
bsteltz
Feduol
forum adept

Re: RISM abbreviations

Post by Feduol »

Hi!

The indication of one date with a superscript number refers to catalogue published in RISM B-I series (Printed Anthologies of Music up to 1700).

Looking on it there is this entry to 1596⁸:

Madrigali a otto voci. De diversi eccellenti et famosi autori, Con alcuni dialoghi, et echo, per cantar et sonar à due chori. Novamente raccolti et dati in luce. - Antwerpen, P. Phalèse, 1596. 8 vol. in-4º obl., 37 p.

According to RISM, GB-Lbm contains the single known copy (only the tenor voice) of this edition. Also a second edition of this collection was published in 1597¹² (with the same title), the known copies are kept by B-Gu (7 vols.), D-Cm (only the S voice) and D-W (only STB). I couldn't find this second edition online.

I saw news that RISM A-I and B-I/II series will be online next year. =)
Feduol
forum adept

Post by Feduol »

BNF has it also!
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

@Feduol: Thanks! that helps with this particular one. Where did you access the catalogue, just when I run into this problem again with different dates/superscripts. . .
bsteltz
Feduol
forum adept

Post by Feduol »

I have the collection I scanned from a library two years ago. Since the catalogue itself is not protected by copyright, I've just sent it to your email (anyone who wants it, please, just ask and I'll send you).

Since last year I've been working on this list, but there is a long way to go.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Thank you so much!!!
bsteltz