Any posts related to the categorization and standardization of IMSLP

Moderators: vinteuil, Davydov

aned
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Question about collections

Post by aned »

Hi,

I am going to submit music to IMSLP for the first time. I am doing this for a friend who has transcribed and arranged lots of renaissance music. I have read the documentation here but still have a few questions.

What I want to upload is a collection pieces by various composers. The document is 36 pages.

I create my friends composer/arranger page (or ask him to do it if it is not possible that I do it)
I upload the document to his page
Where do I specify what music/composers are in the collection?
Must I upload the separate pieces to respective composer?

Thank you for any clarifications or links to info on this.

Andreas
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Question about collections

Post by Carolus »

The usual practice would be to create a category page for the person who assembled the collection and add it under his name. We'll then use a tool to place it in the "Collections" tab and use some other tools to make sure the item appears beneath the collections tabs of all the respective composers whose works appear in the volume. I'm assuming this is a new, original compilation on the part of your friend. If he's simply edited a previously assembled collection there could be an issue if the collection was original in nature and assembled by someone dead less than 50 years. An original compilation or collection is treated much like an arrangement under copyright, a full term of life-plus-XX years.
aned

Post by aned »

Thank you for your reply, that clears things up a bit! So if I understand you correctly, I can upload the whole collection and you will take care of the rest? I will try this and also add a complete listing of composer/arrangers.

One other thing that I have been wondering.

When is the arrangement no longer an arrangement but a composition? For instance, there are lots of music from Arbeau's Orchesografie in this collection. Arbeau's work only contain one part melodies. A setting with three more invented parts from the arranger, is that arrangement or composition? Or should one call it something else?

Thanks a lot.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

The example you mention (a single melodic line to which parts have been added) is still technically an arrangement but it's very often treated as a composition because such works are frequently anonymous melodies or folk tunes so an individual setting of something like Greensleeves ends up being listed here as a composition based on the folk melody, though often still appearing beneath the "Arrangements" tab. Of course your friend's collection - assuming he's the one who assembled the items in addition to providing parts where none were present in the source - is under his name anyway (as a collection). He can be listed as arranger also. It's rather like Praetorius' Terpsichore. Praetorius assembled the collection of pieces, including some arranged by Caroubel, and arranged most things also. He may have composed a few items himself also. The 312 items in that collection all have individual pages (since they're very popular to re-arrange). The majority are actually under Praetorius' name but you'll see that they appear beneath the "Arrangements" tab.