Any posts related to the categorization and standardization of IMSLP

Moderators: vinteuil, Davydov

tim.willis1685
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Historical regions used as nationalities

Post by tim.willis1685 »

I've noticed that a "Prussian" nationality is beginning to be used. [[Category:Benda, Franz|See Benda]]. Perhaps there should be a discussion on how and to what extent historical regions should be used to categorise people before it is implemented. My opinion is that is it probably too complicated and potentially too politically sensitive. If Prussian is allowed, then categories should be made for Saxony, Silesia, Bohemia, Moravia etc etc. Taking Benda as an example; he was a native Czech speaker, born in Bohemia which was then owned by the Austrian Hapsburgs. The larger part of his musical career was spent in Berlin, then capital of the Kingdom of Prussia. So we could say Benda's nationalities are Bohemian, Czech, Austrian, Prussian and German but is this really necessary?
jujimufu
active poster
notabot2: Bot

Re: Historical regions used as nationalities

Post by jujimufu »

This is a good question.

I guess there is some value in referring to people's "nationality" as they would have referred to it themselves at the time they lived.

For example, we can talk about Roman or Byzantine Emperors, without having to clarify that actually what was then Roman Empire is now Italy, or what was then Byzantium is now Turkey, and so on.

The wikipedia page, by comparison, refers to Benda as a "Bohemian" composer (essentially Czech) — which is fair as at the time it was called the Kingdom of Bohemia. Perhaps that's more apt than Prussian? Perhaps both Bohemian (so that he can be categorised alongside composers from the same region and time-period) as well as Czech? And Prussian because that's where he composed mostly?
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot2: Human

Re: Historical regions used as nationalities

Post by Carolus »

There's always Belgium - a country that didn't exist until after Napoleon's defeat - being used for Renaissance composers, etc.