Moderators: vinteuil, Davydov

jujimufu
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Bot

Re-tagging "piano" works as "harpsichord"

Post by jujimufu »

Hi,

I was thinking perhaps it would be a good idea to re-tag and re-categorise all piano pieces as harpsichord pieces, because the piano descended from the harpsichord and so they're basically the same?
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot2: Human

Re: Re-tagging "piano" works as "harpsichord"

Post by Carolus »

We already have the general designation keyboard to handle the vague cases where it's not clear which instrument was intended. As for designating things like Rachmaninoff preludes for harpsichord, that's not a good idea as they might be very playable on a harpsichord since the later composers tend to exploit the generally greater range of the piano.
jujimufu
active poster
notabot2: Bot

Re: Re-tagging "piano" works as "harpsichord"

Post by jujimufu »

Of course.

Then, for the same reasons, would it be possible to create a new instrument category for Shakuhachi (Japanese bamboo flute), which is separate to that of Xiao flute (which already exists) in terms of construction, acoustics, range, repertoire, history, and geography (the only connection being that the shakuhachi and xiao share common instrument "ancestors") and tag works using the shakuhachi accordingly? Last time I raised this issue specifically with a work of mine featuring the shakuhachi but tagged under "xiao" I was told these instruments are similar enough, so it's no big deal, but I feel that it is only a good step to be respectful of other cultures and make an effort to accommodate differences which might perhaps not seem important enough to everyone's eyes :)

I would do so myself, but the tagging system has evolved into something more complex since my times here at IMSLP and I can't seem to find a way to do that? If you point me to the right direction I'm still happy to do so on my own.

Thanks Carolus!