Make categorization a two-step process (user-generated input checked by the Tagging team)

Any posts related to the categorization and standardization of IMSLP

Moderators: vinteuil, Davydov

Ansa211
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Make categorization a two-step process (user-generated input checked by the Tagging team)

Post by Ansa211 »

I've been recently told not to tag works I upload because there is a specialized team to do that.
I suggest that categorization be changed to be a two-step process just like uploading files: normal users like me would be allowed to tag works (which they currently technically can, and then they are told they should not have done so), but the tags would not be visible to other users until they are reviewed by the Tagging team. This should normally simplify matters for the tagging team, because users could indicate the suggested tags directly as tags, rather than in the "Instrumentation" field and miscellaneous comments. (I mostly upload scores in the Czech language and I assume no-one on the tagging team knows Czech, so I feel that a lot of information would be hard to deduce unless I either tag the works myself or provide a comment with the suggested tags.) I imagine that technically, the change to this two-step system should be easy to implement, because it already exists for freshly uploaded files.
However, the two-step system of tagging should also be applied to user-generated corrections of tags - users would simply edit the tag set and the Tagging team would be automatically notified of the change. (I know of at least one piano method which is missing the "piano 4 hands" tag although it includes optional teacher accompaniment for some of the pieces.)
Backfire_22
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Make categorization a two-step process (user-generated input checked by the Tagging team)

Post by Backfire_22 »

It could be quite an useful function to have, why not! It'll slow down the categorization process, but it'll limit duplicates, incorrect tags and all of the fun things that come with user-produced content.