Moderators: PML-CA, imslp-eu, jdeperi

ulyosha
forum adept
notabot: 55
notabot2: Bot

Zemlinsky op.13 Maeterlinck Songs orchestral version

Post by ulyosha »

Hi there,
as I'm through with making virtual orchestra playbacks for all of Mahler's lieder and for his Lied von der Erde, I'm now thinking of working on other composers of orchestral lieder. I was asked for Zemlinsky's op. 13 and would love to devote to the orchestral version.
UE allows to read the whole score as a perusal score which of course must not be uesed for any kind of performance or exploitation.
https://www.universaledition.com/themes ... 534-dp.pdf
My question is: As Zemlinsky died in 1942 (76 years ago) and the score was published in 1923: Will it change the legal situation when I buy the score ?
Would I be allowed to make orchestral accompaniments using my beloved Vienna Symphonic Library samples if prooving that the score I used is an officially purchased one ?
Thank you for answering
Ulyosha
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Zemlinsky op.13 Maeterlinck Songs orchestral version

Post by Carolus »

The work is under copyright in the EU until 2020 because of Maeterlinck's death date (1949). It's already free in Canada and the other 50-pma countries. Oddly it looks like it will be entering the USA public domain on January 1, 2019 if no further extensions are added to the present law.
ulyosha
forum adept
notabot: 55
notabot2: Bot

Post by ulyosha »

Thank you, Carolus,
for your help. As far as it's about scores, sheet music, print media, visual stuff I can immediately understand that Maeterlinck's death date is relevant.
But I've still hope that it isn't in my special case: I just create virtual orchestra accompaniments which is pure audio stuff with no lyrics and even with no single note belonging to the vocal part's melody. So, as I omit any traces of the vocal part (both lyrics and notes): Is Maeterlinck's contribution relevant, although it's exactly what I removed ? Have I to face the argument that a score containing the lyrics/vocal part was even needed to produce audio stuff without them ?
What do you mean ?
Would be very thankful for your statement.
Thankyou very much and kind regards
Uli
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

You do realize the last post your mentioning is over a year old? I highly doubt the person will see to respond to this now.
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

It was a spammer. I've deleted the post.

Max