Difficulty downloading score from imslp.eu

Messages from and discussions about the IMSLP Regional Server in Europe

Moderators: PML-CA, imslp-eu, jdeperi

ejbran
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Difficulty downloading score from imslp.eu

Post by ejbran »

I have repeatedly tried to open the vocal score of Gustav Holst's Savitri and the download either is interrupted, fails, or never finishes. Do you know why this might be? I've never had any problems downloading from the main IMSLP site -- it is the 1st time I've downloaded from imslp.eu.
imslp-eu
regular poster

Re: Difficulty downloading score from imslp.eu

Post by imslp-eu »

I've just downloaded it to my computer without any problems, it took less than 5 seconds. Are you using Microsoft Internet Explorer? I recommend Mozilla Firefox, it's definitely more reliable and secure.
Musico

Post by Musico »

Having problem downloading of the file http://imslp.eu/files/imglnks/euimg/8/8 ... _RV532.pdf, I have tried 10 times in all my available coms and browsers, but all failed at 25mb instead of 34mb.
imslp-eu
regular poster

Post by imslp-eu »

A test file is automatically downloaded every 15 minutes from the EU server, and the download time is logged. Some hours ago the download time was larger than normal, probably due to high server load, while now it seems OK. So, you may just try again now.

A general suggestion when downloading large files: right-click the download link and select "save target as..." (or "save object as...", or something like that, depending on your browser). This will copy the file to your computer without passing through the browser, which makes the process more robust. I've just downloaded this way the file you mentioned, without any problems.
cheap imitation
regular poster

Post by cheap imitation »

Is there a download limit I should be aware of?

I tried downloading this file http://imslp.org/wiki/File:PMLP57526-Be ... ter_fs.pdf ; it downloaded 7.7 MB and then stopped. The next two files in sequence (http://imslp.org/wiki/File:PMLP57526-Be ... fs_BGA.pdf and http://imslp.org/wiki/File:PMLP57526-Be ... fs_BGA.pdf) downloaded fine, but the last one (http://imslp.org/wiki/File:PMLP57526-Be ... fs_BGA.pdf) failed at 6.4 MB. I then tried to download the original file, which also failed at 6.4 MB, and then another imslp-eu file, which failed at 4.6 MB.

If the analogy makes any sense whatsoever (which I doubt), how long do I have to wait to build up enough "bandwidth credit" to get the original 7.9 MB file? >.>
Last edited by Choralia on Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Links fixed using the URL tag
imslp-eu
regular poster

Post by imslp-eu »

There are no bandwidth limits on the IMSLP-EU server. I've just downloaded the files that you mentioned, without any problems. The logs relevant to the test file that is downloaded every 15 minutes also show that, at the time you encountered the problem, the download time was pretty normal.

As you're antipodal with respect to the EU server, I would suspect a browser timeout issue due to the long path through the internet. Internet Explorer is also famous for its allergy to large PDF files, and the recent PDF plugins for Mozilla Firefox are not best either. Did you try to right-click the link to the file as described in my previous post?
cheap imitation
regular poster

Post by cheap imitation »

Could be an ISP issue on my end as well. I'm on a university wireless network most of the time, and service is regularly interrupted leading to problems with downloads and so forth. I almost always get files from IMSLP by right-clicking, and tried in both Chrome and Firefox, neither successfully. I'm not sure whether I should even bother trying with Safari >.> At a certain point it simply decides the file size is [whatever has been downloaded up to this point] instead of the actual file size and declares the download complete. I could try to find a way to download it without going through a browser but don't know that that would change much.

I guess if there's no bandwidth choke on your end it's somewhere on the looooong chain of servers between Amsterdam and Auckland Uni and I'll just have to wait until I have more reliable internet. Oh well. Glad for the viewer at least.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

7 MB is not a large file, and most universities are used to file downloads that are in the dozens, or even over 100 MB.

Why don't you try forwarding this correspondence to the Auckland Uni IT department and see what they say about it.

I know my uni chokes student accounts, but it's to try to prevent them using bandwidth on movie downloads, and no one gets choked for such a small amount. They might be able to help you.
bsteltz