Uploading scores to IMSLP-US and adding links on IMSLP.ORG

Messages from and discussions about the IMSLP Regional Server in U.S.A.

Moderators: PML-CA, imslp-eu, jdeperi

jdeperi
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Uploading scores to IMSLP-US and adding links on IMSLP.O

Post by jdeperi »

@Eric, @Carolus,

The FTE template currently in use for PD-US-only scores marks every score (file) with the category {{FilePD-USonly}}. This makes it possible to browse all PD-US-only scores (cf. http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:FilePD-USonly). True, the use of this category is redundant when the work itself is PD-US-only. But its automatic use (by inclusion in the FTE template http://imslp.org/wiki/MediaWiki:FTE:server-us) guarantees that all PD-US-only scores will be marked as such even for works the user forgets to mark as PD-US-only. This guarantee is far more important than any consideration about supposed redundancy.

For a work to be marked PD-US-only, the user must himself or herself add the category {{WorkPD-USonly}} in the markup on the work's page. The markup generator does not insert this category automatically because, as Carolus explained, a work that has a PD-US-only score possibly may not be a PD-US-only work.

Jonathan
fgasper

Post by fgasper »

jdeperi wrote:This post explains:
  • How to upload to the IMSLP-US server PD-US scores that are non-PD CA/EU
  • How to link to those scores from IMSLP.ORG
***Note: The IMSLP-US upload process is not automated and file permissions are not granular, so the only way to manage scores on IMSLP-US is to become an admin. Please contact me if you would like to become an admin, and I will create an account for you.
jdperi, how do I contact you? I don’t see an email address or a messaging system via this forum.
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

By default, the messaging system is not enabled for new users in order to prevent spam. I switched you to the normal registered users group, so you can use PMs now.

Max
Michael Wogan

Post by Michael Wogan »

How can I get permission to upload scores to IMSLP? You might note that in the U.S., publication before 1986 required the publication have a copyright notice. Publications without the notice, with a few exceptions, are in the public domain. The citation is: The Copyright Act of 1976, 17 U.S.C., § 406(c), as amended Oct. 31, 1988, Pub. L. No. 106 588 §7(f). M.W.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

"For a work to be marked PD-US-only, the user must himself or herself add the category {{WorkPD-USonly}} in the markup on the work's page. The markup generator does not insert this category automatically because, as Carolus explained, a work that has a PD-US-only score possibly may not be a PD-US-only work."

Ah. Thanks!! Yes, that makes sense, because of arrangers, etc., etc., ... Will have to pay attention and remember that (esp. for works by PD-CA composers that because e.g. of PD-US-only librettists, or other work-essential components (well, ok, even then, with an opera, purely instrumental selections would I think get past that!...) - are probably PD-US-only.)