Uploading without admin access

Messages from and discussions about the IMSLP Regional Server in U.S.A.

Moderators: PML-CA, imslp-eu, jdeperi

haydenmuhl
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Uploading without admin access

Post by haydenmuhl »

I've read the guide to uploading on IMSLP-US, and I understand I cannot upload something myself without admin access. I started this thread to discuss the process of getting a file on IMSLP-US for those of us without admin access.

I have a PDF of "O sole mio", which is likely only public domain in the US. This is a three page PDF, and it's the only PD-US-only file I have. If I had a whole stack of scores to upload to IMSLP-US, I would request access, but as it is, I don't think it's warranted. I know sending files via email is generally frowned upon, so what would be a good way to get this score on IMSLP-US?

What are the current plans for an automated upload process?
Classical Voices - a forum for classical singers
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Uploading without admin access

Post by KGill »

I know of no plans for an automated upload process, though it has been discussed before; however, if you drop me an email, I will be more than willing to put your file on the US server myself. Distributing files via email is only frowned upon if the files in question are under copyright - since I am in the US, there will be no violation of law on my part, and I assume that's where you are as well.
jdeperi
Site Admin

Post by jdeperi »

@haydenmuhl,

I have planned how to proceed eventually with implementing an upload form that non-admin users could use to upload scores. It would leverage the existing wiki markup generator, which is documented in the uploading guide. However, I have encountered little interest from non-admin users. If more non-admin users express interest in uploading, I'll definitely consider proceeding with the implementation.

Thank you for you interest in contributing, in any case!

Jonathan
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

The main problem I see is that users will start using the US server inappropriately in uploading things that do not belong there. As it has stood thus far, only a small handful of users have received help from an admin in getting their legitimate US-only files to the correct server.