1/1/2xxx

Messages from and discussions about the IMSLP Regional Server in U.S.A.

Moderators: PML-CA, imslp-eu, jdeperi

Eric
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

1/1/2xxx

Post by Eric »

it's not urgent, much less as urgent as my subject line might ever suggest, but I've noticed works remaining PD-US-only that should no longer be over a half-year after the copyright bar has lapsed, because of all the backlog etc. Is there a more efficient way anyone could suggest of reuploading all the Hindemith, Ibert, and less-known 1963-hence-2014 (this year), 1964-hence-2015 (next year) (and the not-yet-done! 1962-hence-2013 composers whose PD-US-only files can be replaced with PD-CA/US/not-EU files now- that is, actually doing the replacing? As I said, not urgent, but at least it looks wrong and for people in Canada may be a bit frustrating, too when in e.g. October of 2013 they still couldn't access very many files of composers who had died in 1962 (and I suspect some who died in 1961, too), etc. etc.

I did try to do my part there but it's catch as catch can &c :)

Eric S.
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Re: 1/1/2xxx

Post by pml »

Perhaps it’s well past time — especially since it could so easily be automated from the {{fte:person}} template — that for any person born after 1840 (174 years before the present), the template adds categories based on the fields
|Born Year =xxxx
|Died Year=yyyy
which are of the form [[Category:xxxx births|$NAME]] and [[Category:yyyy deaths|$NAME]], equivalent to Wikipedia.

This would hugely simplify a number of year related tasks that Eric has flagged merely a single instance — there are a large number of changes that occur when a deceased composer, librettist, or editor moves from the less than 50 or 70 years post mortem categories to one of the others, and it is at present non-trivial to search these composers out on the Wiki. At least with the latter category implemented, one could easily find all the composers who’ve just entered the PD in Canada (†1963) or those who are now PD in Europe (†1943).
--
PML (talk)
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

hrm. part of it involves moving files from the PD-US server to the "usual" server, as well as the category format change and removing Work PD-US-only status from workpages from which this is no longer applicable (those are easier than the filemoves, at least as the filemoves are currently done...) - but - hrm. Part of it should be easy to automate, indeed as you say, and for all I know, just perhaps all of it despite my doubts. (But even if not automated, maybe a sort of manual reminder checklist of the "Sibley Mirroring Project" kind (... about which I admit my ambivalence, most of most of most of the time, actually)... - may help expedite the parts that may require human intervention, if any.)
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

True, some of it can be automated.

It’s for the stuff that can’t be automated (because it’s fiddly and ad hoc ) that this is necessary.
--
PML (talk)
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Yep, just bringing it up so we can get a good reed (... or two) on the fiddly parts. (No percussive emphasis needed, just thinking-about.)
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

As best as I can tell all the works of PD-CA composers, librettists, etc. have now been moved from the U.S. server to the site's main server. Fortunately, the volume of scores on the U.S. server wasn't overwhelming (only 17 folders) for these years (1962 and 1963). Hopefully, by the time Cyril Scott's works have to be moved over there will be a nice automated process.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

btw, last I checked sometime back it wasn't automatic that a work whose librettist, editor, translator or arranger, etc. was PD in US only etc. caused a file to be PD-US-only by default unless etc. etc. but rather the other way around, if I recall. I wonder if that's changed, at least for the librettists (for whom it seems obvious) if not editors (a term used more flexibly, sometimes meaning compiler of edition etc., where- hrm. Material for another thread, yes, come to think; it's late, anyway...)

Anyhow, thanks!!