John Field, sonata 2, 3, and 4

Messages from and discussions about the IMSLP Regional Server in U.S.A.

Moderators: PML-CA, imslp-eu, jdeperi

sfd1971
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

John Field, sonata 2, 3, and 4

Post by sfd1971 »

I have arranged John Field's first sonata for orchestra. I want to arrange his other sonatas (2, 3, and 4), but the only sheet music I can find of those pieces are "urtext, non-pd us" versions. I have to admit, I am not 100% sure what that means. How much different are they from the original? Why are they not in public domain?
Eric
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: John Field, sonata 2, 3, and 4

Post by Eric »

may I interject with some alternatives? I'm fairly sure that the other sonatas were published -somewhere- else in the 19th century... the Anna Amalia Bibliothek has a Kühnel publication (ca.1810) of no.2 (not digitized at this time but maybe they will?), no.3 in C minor is @ these libraries e.g., ...

now Peters published all 4 sonatas in 1830 (I think Kühnel published them in the 1810s) - see HMB - so hopefully some copy of one of the sonatas publications should be findable somewhere... may not have been digitized by anyone yet, but maybe a library near you has it and you can scan it or another publication of the sonatas (published before 1925 and so likely to be public-domain everywhere) and upload it to the site :) ...