Using the IMSLP app as my personal library

Moderator: kcleung

abourget
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Using the IMSLP app as my personal library

Post by abourget »

Hi there,

I've been using forScore and IMSLP for the same purpose of storing my personal library.

The IMSLP library is awesome and so I would prefer to be connected to it, and use that app, especially since it works on all my devices (including Android).

I was wondering if it is fair to upload my own songs that I purchased here and there, but that are copyrighted, or if the platform only allows copyright free music.
I see that the sync tool allows my own files to be shared across devices, it has a nice "Share" feature which allows others to copy or not copy my songs, yet we can sing together for some time, and I decide when to pull the plug. So it seems the app slowly morphed to be a solid forScore competitor, but I don't read anywhere a pitch of the app in the way I want to use it.

I also prefer the metadata handling in IMSLP.. so I'd love to be able to use it with copyrighted material.

What are your thoughts in this?

Thanks!

Alexandre
Sallen112
active poster

Re: Using the IMSLP app as my personal library

Post by Sallen112 »

Any files added to IMSLP has to be either in the Public Domain at least in Canada (died before 1972) or in the United States (first published before 1928 currently). For copyrighred files, uploading files with permission under a CC license or dedicated to the public domain on here.

Its not a good idea to host copyrighted files without permission from the copyright owner on here. Privately, if its for your own use, we won't have any say over what you want to store since that might be considered fair use, but if your going to upload them on the public platform, you have to have permission then to host it.
abourget

Post by abourget »

What is confusing to me is there seems to be two ways to "upload" a file.
1. Submit through the Wiki, by creating pages and such, and
2. the "Import file" functionality of the IMSLP App.

Importing a file doesn't seem to create a Wiki page, and sync's very well across devices, and seems an extraordinary fit for me to keep my sheet music in there, acquired through external means, alongside those scores from the IMSLP database that I can also sync seamlessly.

Do you mean I should never import any PDF in the app that are copyrighted?
If that's the case, why all the marvelous support to Share scores, alongside the feature to prevent someone copying it, and being able to stop sharing at any point?

Am I mixing things here? Is the App experience radically different from the IMSLP project?
Last edited by abourget on Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

You cannot currently as far as I know submit files through the mobile app. You have to visit the website through the browser to submit files.
DBMiller
active poster

Post by DBMiller »

To answer your question: the personal library of files you import into your IMSLP app is entirely separate from the library of files on IMSLP. When you import a file into the app, you are not submitting it to be hosted as part of the IMSLP collection (which you can do on the website).

When you sync or share files you personally import to read in the app, this is not public. (Your use of those files and the rules for sharing them with other people are the same as when you read those files with in any other PDF reader or use them with any other software.)