Copyright infringement?

Moderator: kcleung

pianoforte1001
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Copyright infringement?

Post by pianoforte1001 »

Dear Sir or Madam,

I have a question about uploading a note.
The piece is J.S. Bach's work and it was later arranged by a pianist who passed away in 1930.
Recently, a pianist further arranged the piece (you can listen to it in his CD or youtube), but there is no note reflecting this arrange.
Therefore, I made a note accommodating this arrangement by listening to his playing several times.
In this case, can I upload the note (pdf)? Is it legal?

I hope that someone will answer my question.

Best regards
Sallen112
active poster

Re: Copyright infringement?

Post by Sallen112 »

Can you link to the workpage in question?
DBMiller
active poster

Post by DBMiller »

pianoforte1001 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:11 am Dear Sir or Madam,

I have a question about uploading a note.
The piece is J.S. Bach's work and it was later arranged by a pianist who passed away in 1930.
Recently, a pianist further arranged the piece (you can listen to it in his CD or youtube), but there is no note reflecting this arrange.
Therefore, I made a note accommodating this arrangement by listening to his playing several times.
In this case, can I upload the note (pdf)? Is it legal?

I hope that someone will answer my question.

Best regards
You can upload something that contains creative content by J.S. Bach and the pianist ho died in 1930, but you cannot add anything original that was created by the currently-living pianist you mention (unless you get the appropriate permission).
pianoforte1001

Post by pianoforte1001 »

Dear all,

Thank you so much for your answers. I appreciate that. Please let me ask a more detailed question about this.

I understand that a musical score made by a currently living pianist should not be arranged and uploaded without permission. However, what I would like to ask is a bit different. There is not an official musical score, what exists is a playing by a currently living pianist. That's why I made a score from his performance.

There is already a score made by someone (ttps://musescore.com/user/29700860/scores/6390452), but mine is a bit different. Even in this case, Isn't it possible to upload my version (then the above link is also illegal?)?

Best regards,
DBMiller
active poster

Post by DBMiller »

pianoforte1001 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:35 pm Dear all,

Thank you so much for your answers. I appreciate that. Please let me ask a more detailed question about this.

I understand that a musical score made by a currently living pianist should not be arranged and uploaded without permission. However, what I would like to ask is a bit different. There is not an official musical score, what exists is a playing by a currently living pianist. That's why I made a score from his performance.

There is already a score made by someone (ttps://musescore.com/user/29700860/scores/6390452), but mine is a bit different. Even in this case, Isn't it possible to upload my version (then the above link is also illegal?)?

Best regards,
Copying an protectable creative content devised by a pianist, including material that is improvised or added to existing work, is unlawful (unless permission is granted). However, "in the style of" is very ambiguous; I have no idea what is or isn't taken from the pianist's original work.