Popular American works from early 20th century

Moderator: kcleung

KermitIsKing
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Popular American works from early 20th century

Post by KermitIsKing »

I lead an a capella men's choir, and am building a personal library of American popular music from the the late 1800s and early 1900s.. I haven't seen anything I own posted here. So I have a few questions:

1) The contributor section asks that contributors post every page of the work, including the cover page. I'm assuming that holds true for cover art? The cover pages often have nice artwork. B/W still preferable, or is grasyscale better? I'd go with grayscale for the cover and B/W for subsequent pages.
2) I have a Yale Glee Club book from 1889. It's 136 pages, and has around 100 works by various authors. Should this go up as 100 works or 1 work? Both (post by editor/arranger for the book and then by song as well)? Same deal with Harvard Glee Club Book for 1922.
3) Similarly, I have 3 songs in 1 sheet music edition, all by the same arranger. 3 files? 1 file?
4) There is no genre that describes this kind of music. Can someone add one?
5) I do not see a search functionality by voicing for vocal music. What am I missing?

Maybe this post belongs in the requested features forum.

thanks
Tom
Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Lyle Neff »

One suggestion: if the cover or title page is in color, it would be better to scan it/them in color separately and post it/them in a separate PDF, then rescan it/them in grayscale along with the score for the main PDF. That saves downloading time for those who don't want the color images as part of the whole PDF.
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
KermitIsKing
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

I can do that.

Post by KermitIsKing »

Any guidance on the compilation questions?
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

You can post a collection under the composer category named "Various." Sometimes, music librarians will list a collection of this nature under the name of the editor or compiler of the collection.

That's a fast way to get something up. Also, if there are items by fairly well-known composers, pages can be created for the individual works found in a collection. Extracting pages from a PDF is really very simple if you have the full version of Acrobat.