Edouard Lalo, anyone?

Moderator: kcleung

Anthony Maki
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Edouard Lalo, anyone?

Post by Anthony Maki »

Hello!

My name is Anthony Maki, and I'm a violin/composition student at Anoka Senior High School, in Anoka, Minnesota, USA.

I would like to request the Symphonie Espagnole score to be posted on IMSLP, if anyone has access to it. It is public domain, correct?

I have the copyrighted piano reduction and violin solo part; however, our orchestra would like to perform it without going through the toils of renting/buying the score and parts.

Thank you very much!!!

Anthony Maki
horndude77
active poster

Post by horndude77 »

If your goal is "free" parts I don't think IMSLP will be much help. Usually full scores or piano reductions are posted. For chamber pieces and what not sometimes all the parts are also posted. So If you got a score you'd have to re-typeset all the parts (and post them back here of course :). That said, parts would be appreciated. You might want to take a look at http://www.orchmusiclibrary.com/ It's relatively inexpensive.
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

The Symphonie Espagnole itself is public domain worldwide. Kalmus has reprinted the parts of original edition (Schott as I recall) and offers it for sale along with the score. Dover has reprinted the full score also. Lucks also offers score and parts for sale or rent. Neither the Kalmus, Lucks or Dover is a new, copyrighted edition. You can photocopy them all you like.

Don't fall into the false idea that photocopying is always cheaper, though. It's usually more expensive if you actually add it all up. Someone has to spend the time to stand there and run the machine, which can take hours when dealing with orchestra parts. Then there's the joy of binding them or putting them together in some way. Kalmus' current prices are FS - $50.00; Set of Parts (with strings 4.4.3.2.2) - $175.00; extra part - $5.50. They charge $110.00 for a 2-month rental (all the strings you want).
emeraldimp
active poster

Post by emeraldimp »

It's the old dilemma: fast, cheap, good: pick two.

If you were to obtain the Dover score, for example (most likely the cheapest to purchase), you could certainly make your own parts using Sibelius, Finale, Noteworthy or Lilypond. But you'd finish in July. :-)

I'd go for the Kalmus ('cept maybe for the score; check out dover); much as I love finding things online, you'll get better quality and consistency from them.