Libretti

Moderator: kcleung

ahill
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Libretti

Post by ahill »

Would scans of opera libretti (manuscripts or early printed copies) be appropriate for inclusion in IMSLP?
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Libretti

Post by Carolus »

We've talked about this before, and I think the answer is "yes." You might want to ask P. Davydov about where to put them in the hierarchy on opera pages, which can get fairly long.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Put them in the category of "Books."
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

That would require creating a separate page for them. I think ahill is referring to placing them on the same work-page as the scores for the opera.
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

As the creation of the libretto is part of the compositional process for the opera/oratorio/vocal work in question, it woud seem appropriate to include it at on the relevant work page. Maybe at the end, such as:

* Full Scores
* Vocal Scores
* Parts
* Arrangements and Transcriptions
* Librettos ("Libretti"?)

It might also be helpful to use a sub-heading to indicate the language of the libretto, as we do for vocal scores.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

In that case we need coding that will allow libretti to be searchable by author.
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

We do have a field in the "General Information" section where one can insert the author of the libretto, and another where the (original} language(s) can go. I'm not sure of how searchable those fields are, exactly.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Carolus wrote:We do have a field in the "General Information" section where one can insert the author of the libretto, and another where the (original} language(s) can go. I'm not sure of how searchable those fields are, exactly.
That seems to be keyword-searchable. Something more systematic, which could generate a list of librettists, would be much better.