Title Upcasing & Carcassi

Moderator: kcleung

pierre.chepelov
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Title Upcasing & Carcassi

Post by pierre.chepelov »

A few days ago I took some time renaming many Carcassi work pages - those with French titles. I corrected the missing diacritics, and the upcasing.
(Je dirai même plus : je me suis décarcassé ! )
(To gacl: Have a look at the list on http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matteo_Carcassi, some other pieces are mentioned there.)

So, I wanted to say to everybody typing a title in French:
1. If you can, please type the proper diacritics (é, è, à, etc.) - Note that in old prints, capitalized titles sometimes do not show the diacritics, but they are still needed when typing lowercase letters!
2. Do Not Use Capitals On Every Word. This is common in English, but incorrect in many languages.
For French titles, the general rule is to use a capital on the first noun, and never on adjectives, unless they are before the first noun. Capitals should never be used on small words (de, du, sur, à, au, le, la...), with exception for the first word.
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Title Upcasing & Carcassi

Post by Carolus »

In English, title case capitalizes the first and last word of a title (always, no exceptions), and nouns, pronouns, verbs and adjectives elsewhere in the title. Articles (like a, and, the, with) are left in lower case. Title case is used (as one might expect) when citing titles of works, and a few other rare cases. Other languages have different rules, which should be applied in those cases. Thanks for cleaning those up, Pierre.
Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Title Upcasing & Carcassi

Post by Lyle Neff »

Carolus wrote:In English, title case capitalizes the first and last word of a title (always, no exceptions), and nouns, pronouns, verbs and adjectives elsewhere in the title. Articles (like a, and, the, with) are left in lower case. Title case is used (as one might expect) when citing titles of works, and a few other rare cases. Other languages have different rules, which should be applied in those cases. Thanks for cleaning those up, Pierre.
Just a note: in much library cataloging (e.g., Library of Congress) basically only the first word and proper nouns are capitalized for English-language titles transcribed from books, scores, etc.
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)