Search error when pressing enter, annoying message

Moderator: kcleung

Funper
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Search error when pressing enter, annoying message

Post by Funper »

Error: Please do not access this page directly; use the search box in the sidebar instead.
This is the message I get on every computer using IE6. Which of these search options (composer, IMSLP#, site) are by default used when pressing enter (instead of pressing the searchboxes)?

None am I right? One of them should be added default... Or my browser needs to be changed.
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Re: Search error when pressing enter, annoying message

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

Funper wrote:This is the message I get on every computer using IE6.
You should use a web browser instead of IE6 (yes, I have heard those claims that IE6 be a web browser, but I don't believe any of them).
Funper wrote:Which of these search options (composer, IMSLP#, site) are by default used when pressing enter (instead of pressing the searchboxes)?
If I hit enter in Firefox or Opera, it defaults to mainspace (site search).
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

You should use a web browser instead of IE6 (yes, I have heard those claims that IE6 be a web browser, but I don't believe any of them).
Very good point.

http://www.opera.com/
http://www.getfirefox.com/
Funper
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Funper »

It should be compatible with IE6, i have used IE since -98.
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

Funper wrote:It should be compatible with IE6, i have used IE since -98.
Now I could start about web history, the "Browser Wars", and how Web Standards were defined long before IE6 came into existence, in order to ensure that web pages work the same in every browser... long story short: IE6 is broken. Some problems can be worked around with more or less insane tricks, some can not (see that big fat "corrupted downloads" warning on the main page). Considering that this is a minor glitch in a broken and outdated browser, I believe that Feldmahler should direct his efforts to more important matters right now (but he will decide by himself, of course ;)). Don't take it personally...
Funper
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Funper »

What's there to take personal..? Corny that I've used IE since 1998? Maybe.. :?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Ouch... I did not know it broke on IE6. You see... to site designers IE is worse than Satan ;) Unfortunately, even though we hate IE, we have to cater to its bugs because it still dominates the browser market as of today. I really hope it can die as fast as possible.

In any case, I found out what was wrong, and fixed it :) Thanks Leonard for speaking for me... but the fix was fast and easy so I just did it (yes I still hate IE haha) ;)
Funper
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Funper »

thanks! now it will be easier for those IE-users to search.. could you also throw in Category as default in mainsite search? it will be much easier instead of pressing Comp. every time.. not that i already added that in my preferences, i am thinking of all non-members.
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Funper wrote:thanks! now it will be easier for those IE-users to search.. could you also throw in Category as default in mainsite search? it will be much easier instead of pressing Comp. every time.. not that i already added that in my preferences, i am thinking of all non-members.
... XD

I originally had comp as the default, and then someone said that the normal search included composer categories anyway (and that normal search should be put as default)... and so I changed it...

I think we may have to sort out what exactly users want first before changing any more haha ;)
Funper
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Funper »

Think you missunderstood.. I meant that you should add "Category" namespace in normal search, since normal search dosen't include categories..... And there are just too many search boxes! Two (imslp.org and IMSLP#) is enough, that third one is just refined.