Moderator: kcleung

Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Busoni edition of Bach's WTC1

Post by Lyle Neff »

<rant>

The Schirmer printing of Busoni's edition of Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier was just uploaded and copyright-approved -- under Busoni, rather than Bach:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Edition_of_J._S._ ... rruccio%29

Given that Busoni did not compose this work, and given that we know who composed it, why, oh, why is it left only under his name, especially while the Breitkopf printing of the same edition is listed under Bach? E.g. (nos. 1-12):

http://imslp.org/wiki/Well-Tempered_Cla ... bastian%29

IMHO, at the very least, if it simply must be included under Busoni because of its status in his catalog, shouldn't the file data be included under both names, with the primary entry considered to be under Bach (problems with the present subdivision of that work notwithstanding)?

</rant>

:mrgreen:
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Busoni edition of Bach's WTC1

Post by Carolus »

I think our general style and uploading guidelines call for editions of this nature to always appear under the actual composer, with the option of having them appear with their own page under the editor's category. I expect a copy will appear on the Bach page before too long.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

Moved - it's handy that one can just change the name of the composer in the title to change the category.
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

</lurk, text="just returned from holiday">

*considers adding several symphonies/masses/orchestral works to his own composer page*

*thinks about it some more*

Nahhhh...

<lurk>
Robert.Allen
regular poster

Post by Robert.Allen »

Hi Lyle, There are a great deal of performance suggestions, practice pieces, and musical analysis in the Busoni edition of WTC1 which is Busoni's contribution, so it clearly belongs in the Busoni category. There are also (1) a very long section on the art of transcribing organ works for piano and (2) an analysis of the fugue from Beethoven's Hammerklavier sonata. Of course the Busoni editions should also be put in the Bach category, but the Bach work pages are not organized in a way which is compatible with the way the Busoni edition is organized, so the files will have to be split up before they can be added to those pages. I noticed that someone already did this to the German (Breitkopf) Busoni editions, but whoever did it combined different catalog numbers into the same file, and the annotations do not even mention it. Possibly the files should be split in such a way that the work page can clearly identify which publication each section comes from. In any case, since there are already copies of the Bach Gesellschaft editions on those pages, reorganizing the Busoni edition to fit the the Bach work pages did not seem like an immediately urgent priority, but the files are obviously available for those who are upset about the situation to rectify it. Robert Allen
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Robert.Allen wrote:Hi Lyle, There are a great deal of performance suggestions, practice pieces, and musical analysis in the Busoni edition of WTC1 which is Busoni's contribution, so it clearly belongs in the Busoni category. [...]
Then we must do the same with other editors that make comparable or greater contributions to a work composed completely by someone else, including persons who make piano-reductions of operas, etc.

But, since that's not going to happen, I disagree. :mrgreen:
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
Robert.Allen
regular poster

Post by Robert.Allen »

Obviously it's somewhat subjective, but it seemed important enough to me to create the work page in the Busoni category. I would be grateful if they do not get deleted. Regarding the Bach WTC work pages, perhaps they should be reduced to two, one for WTC1 and one for WTC2. Then the Busoni editions could be added intact without the necessity of splitting them up.
Robert.Allen
regular poster

Post by Robert.Allen »

Sorry I should have checked first. Looks like someone already took care of it.