Composer Shortcuts

Moderator: kcleung

allegroamabile
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Composer Shortcuts

Post by allegroamabile »

Since it is quite a feat to go to IMSLP and pick the piece you want, I thought it will be a time saver and be much more accessible if you could enter the composer's name in the url so it will go directly to his or her page as such:

imslp.org/any_composers_name

or something similar

Regards
Lyle Neff
active poster

Re: Composer Shortcuts

Post by Lyle Neff »

This already exists to some extent. Just put "Bach," "Mozart,", "Haydn," or "Beethoven" in the search box, and you are redirected to the appropriate category page.

I did this kind of thing myself long ago with several Russian composers to do just what you mean about a quick search and result, and also to account for alternate spellings or to remove diacritics (e.g., "Cui" and "Cesar Cui" take you directly to the category composer page). (The prefix "Category:" is rather bothersome in general, I would say. :mrgreen: )
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

Yeah - these are called redirects. To insert one:
#REDIRECT [[:Category:COMPOSER, FIRST NAME]]
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Caveat: the redirects don't work when you're not logged in to your account (tried just now).
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

Redirects should always work. If you mean that they don't show up in the search results, it might be due to your search settings in your wiki preferences (the redirects are in mainspace, so they won't be included in a category search).

It is true however that the wiki search is far from great. Sometimes it's easier to search the site with Google, using the syntax SomeSearchTerms site:imslp.org.