Newbie uploading scores: general comment

Moderator: kcleung

scriabinghost

Newbie uploading scores: general comment

Post by scriabinghost »

I didn't find the process of uploading a score particularly easy. I got the hang of it after some messing around but the workflow could be made a bit easier I think. If I'm right there are three seperate processes here:

uploading a file
adding a work to the composer list
linking the file with the work on the list

IMSLP is a great site and a good resource for musicians but the main idea is to upload scores (and download them)! It needs to be made as easy as possible and a single workflow through the site would help the non-technical person upload scores. I would think that 90% of people logging in are doing it just to upload. That's what we want to happen. I have noticed quite a few works listed with no scores attached - possibly this is the result of people trying to upload but getting confused.

Having said that I've probably missed something or a nice help page on the site somewher which explains it all. Let's make it simple, simple...
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

You are perfectly right with your observations. The problem is that the software IMSLP is using was originally written for Wikipedia, and thus is not perfectly suited for the purposes of IMSLP (several changes have already been made). We are working on improving it however. Under site development there is a project to integrate file upload into the file submission form, but it will take a while before it gets implemented. Additional suggestions are alway welcome, of course.

The help page you are looking for is the score submission guide. All our help pages are accessible via the Community Portal, which is the central place to access all community/contributing related information. Suggestions on improving the portal and/or the help pages are always welcome as well.
aldona
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by aldona »

Welcome...

It took me a while to get the hang of uploading too, even with the submission guide (but then, I am particularly blonde).

Once you get the idea, it becomes addictive... :wink:

...if only I didn't have to go to work to pay for my sheet music habit.

aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis