Shostakovich?

Moderator: kcleung

amati1588
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Shostakovich?

Post by amati1588 »

Hey can anyone suggest or help me in locating some orchestral Parts, Violin 1 for his Symphonies?
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Shostakovich?

Post by Carolus »

Not a chance. Shostakovich is under copyright worldwide. You should put requests of this nature under the "score requests" thread, BTW.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

Maybe what Amati meant was from whom they could be rented, etc. - the post just said 'locating'.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Fair enough. The parts are only available on rental. G. Schirmer in the USA, Boosey & Hawkes in Europe (last time I checked, which was a few years back).
amati1588
regular poster

Post by amati1588 »

Thanks guys, and what I meant was if they were available for purchase for ones convenience. I.E. Practice part and knowing the literature.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Available for rental only. Your only chance of success would then be to find colleagues who might have photocopied the part from past rentals.
amati1588
regular poster

Post by amati1588 »

This is the luck one finds, 23 yrs of playing the violin down the crapper.. To find out these will never be available till on Generous persons pays the Russian Government 10 million Quid to release these and make PD world wide.. The downside of being Professional. Will do ask some colleagues, if no luck can anyone here help me out with some Violin Parts to Symphonies 1,7,10,11,12?
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Will do ask some colleagues, if no luck can anyone here help me out with some Violin Parts to Symphonies 1,7,10,11,12?
No, I'm afraid we cannot help you acquire copyrighted materials. As unfortunate as this is, the laws still apply. The other way to legally acquire said parts is to audition for an orchestra asking for any of these pieces. If they are worth their salt, they'll be able to photocopy and send or otherwise make available the parts.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Many years ago, my university library ordered sets of orchestral parts from Kalmus Orchestra Library that were bound by instrument, so we ended up with a clarinet parts shelf, a violin parts shelf, etc. It was a huge collection and included Shostakovich Symphonies 2, 9, 12, Golden Age Ballet Suite, and Festival Overture.

A few years later, when I asked that we order a missing Beethoven symphony, the librarian couldn't find a way of ordering individual parts.

This isn't very helpful, except that at one point, Kalmus did sell some Shostakovich parts. You might try them, althouh from your list, the only one in that set was Symphony no. 12.
bsteltz
madcapellan
regular poster

Post by madcapellan »

Yes, I remember the good old days when Shostakovich was PD worldwide. Then we ran into the antitime anomaly from that one Star Trek episode and his works reversed into copyright. I guess we'd better enjoy his works while we can before they disappear forever. Oh well, at least Shostakovich is finally able to reap the rewards of his hard work and live the rich life he deserves because of it.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

You can forget trying Kalmus. They no longer carry any of that stock and certainly couldn't sell it if they did. Possibly used sheet music stores might carry something like that, but they are increasingly rare and I suspect those Russian GATT parts are even rarer.
Peterdyson49
forum adept

Post by Peterdyson49 »

What about DSCH?
This is their link to the hire library
http://www.chostakovitch.org/BILINGUE/hire.htm

And of course there is lots in the Philharmonia Library here (lovely to see them play from the original parts).. but I don't expect that is very useful!
Peter
St Petersburg
StigHelmer

Post by StigHelmer »

so stupid!

All knowledge must be free!
La-la-la

Post by La-la-la »

Westminster Music Hire Library have some Shostakovich orchestral sets, so if they have them, do other music libraries carry old Kalmus sets?