PD results for the USA

Moderator: kcleung

lgt
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

PD results for the USA

Post by lgt »

Hi, I've been searching for an answer in the FAQ and Help but I couldn't find one, so I hope someone can help:

I'm a 20th century music fan, living in Massachusetts, and I search for as many available scores from this period as possible for study. However, since there is a difference in copyright lenght between Canada and America, many works which are opened for use in Canada are not PD in the US, and I often have to waste time clicking every listed work by a composer to see whether it can be used or it's TB. So, is there a way to narrow my search down only to compositions which are PD in America? If there is no such option, can I request it, this would save time to me and many other musicians searching for 20th century music from the US.

Melodia
active poster

Re: PD results for the USA

Post by Melodia »

You know, it doesn't matter that you're in the USA. TB are blocked for ALL.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

I think the question is: is there a way to filter out the [TB]s generally? Either through the category walker or some other way?

If there is no way to do this, it might be something that could be asked for under new features. Even people in other countries might find it more convenient to exclude things they won't be able to download anyway. It would be a time saver.
bsteltz
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

As far as I can tell, the best way to search (this is a Leonard idea, BTW) is using Google's brilliant "site:" feature.
Search: "site:imslp.org [TB]" (I believe)...

Of course, the CRs have their own tools....
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

I've often thought that it might be a good idea to open the tag finder to public use - at least until recently (May IIRC), when the 'signature' feature was introduced. Perhaps the tag history page (and obviously the tag editor) would be for CR use only, and the tag finder itself could be used freely except it wouldn't display files marked U/U/U to the public (for security reasons). To make it easier/more practical to use, maybe an option could be added to show the pages that contained files of different denominations of tags, rather than just the files themselves. Searching on Google is a good way to find TBs, but not to filter them out.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

Point taken, although I suppose a minus sign might help :)
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
Deinonychus
regular poster

Post by Deinonychus »

That would only return pages with no TB scores on them at all, as it removes all pages that contain the undesired string.