Tosti Upload Project

Moderator: kcleung

haydenmuhl
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Tosti Upload Project

Post by haydenmuhl »

I'm uploading volume 4 at the moment, and have hit a snag. I've created a page for La rinnovazione. The problem is, the edition information lists Tosti as the librettist, and "Canellino" (Luigi Cesana) as the composer. The The Lied, Art Song, and Choral Texts Page lists it the other way around.

There is also the following note about the autograph copy.
Solo la musica è di mano di Tosti; l'intestazione del frontespizio e le parole poste sotto la melodia sono di altra mano.

Con due tratti di matita, probabilmente dell'incisore, sono stati invertit, correttamente, i nome del poeta e del musicista.

So, I've just typed all this up only to realize that this looks like a new typeset of a song published in a periodical. This means I can't upload the PDF, but all the same, I would like to get an answer on this.
Classical Voices - a forum for classical singers
haydenmuhl
active poster

Post by haydenmuhl »

I ran into a bump trying to upload "Serenata d'un angelo". When I tried to upload the file I got an error saying it had already been uploaded, so it didn't get added to the work page. I tried to add it manually, but that didn't work either.

Here's a link to the file. http://imslp.org/wiki/File:PMLP211638-s ... Angelo.pdf

I'd appreciate it if someone could add it to the work page. Here's the information I tried to add to the work page manually.

Code: Select all

{{#fte:imslpfile
|File Name 1=PMLP211638-serenataDunAngelo.pdf
|File Description 1=Complete Score
|Page Count 1=5
|Editor=
|Image Type=Normal Scan
|Scanner=Haydenmuhl
|Uploader=[[User:Haydenmuhl|Haydenmuhl]]
|Date Submitted=2011/5/30
|Publisher Information=Milan: [[Ricordi]], n.d.(1876). Plate 44995.
|Reprint=''Edizione completa delle romanza per canto e pianoforte''<br>Milan: [[Ricordi]], 1990. Plate 136338.
|Copyright=Public Domain
|Misc. Notes=
}}
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

I have now added the file for Serenata d'un angelo to the work page.
haydenmuhl
active poster

Post by haydenmuhl »

I've started the edition page for Tosti's complete songs.

http://imslp.org/wiki/Francesco_Paolo_T ... pianoforte

Here's the information I plan to add to the page.
  • Year of copyright for each volume
  • Link song titles to the respective work pages
  • Songs not uploaded, and dates when they can be
Anything else I should consider adding?
haydenmuhl
active poster

Post by haydenmuhl »

Volume 5 now available.
haydenmuhl
active poster

Post by haydenmuhl »

BUMP!

Volume 6 now available.
haydenmuhl
active poster

Post by haydenmuhl »

I'm in the middle of uploading volume 7, and noticed something odd about L'ultima canzone. It's one of the better known songs, so there was already a copy on IMSLP. My scan is clearly a different edition, so I uploaded it. What is strange is that the listed plate number for the existing copy is the same as the plate number listed in my reprint. Is there any way to find out what the correct plate numbers are?
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

This could be a case of someone (including me) adding the plate number on the basis of a description in a library catalog. On the other hand, it is also entirely possible that the same plate number was used for both engravings. Ricordi (and other publishers) often kept the plate number for a piece even if it is a completely new engraving. Debussy's Deux Arabesques for piano is another good example. Durand re-engraved them in the early 20th century, but retained the plate number from ca.1891. Oddly, Durand would assign a new plate number for miniature score reductions of pieces issued previously as large scores - even though they are mere photographic reductions in size of the original.
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

Carolus wrote:it is also entirely that the same plate number was used for both engravings
Yes, it seems this is the case. The Italian online library system reports that the same plate numbers of 1906 (111039, 111040 and 111041 - versions for high, medium, and low voices) have been also used for a "ripristino" (likely a re-engraving) by Ricordi in 1945.

A plate number 111529 is also reported for a Ricordi edition of 1908 with English translation.

Max
haydenmuhl
active poster

Post by haydenmuhl »

Sounds like I shouldn't worry about it, then.
haydenmuhl
active poster

Post by haydenmuhl »

Okay, next thing. Volume nine of the set is "Raccolte d'epoca", or period collections. How should I split up these into work pages? I'm not sure whether these collections are song cycles that Tosti intended, or simply collections of unrelated songs that a publisher or editor put together.

Here's the table of contents.

Code: Select all

1.Due melodie
	1.Deh! ti desta
	2.Au cimitière

2.Ai Bagni di Lucca
	1.Povero fiore!..
	2.Tutto per me sei tu!..
	3.Sognai!..
	4.Ha da venir!..
	5.Vuol piovere!..
	6.Altro è parlar di morte - altro è morire!..
	7.Saprò morir!..

3.Pagine d'album
	1.Spes, ultima dea
	2.Nell'aria della sera
	3.Donna, vorrei morir
	4.Quando cadran le foglie
	5.Quando tu sarai vecchia

4.Altre pagine d'album
	1.Lasciali dir!
	2.Tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse!
	3.Automne
	4.Primavera
	5.Mon cœur est plein de toi
	6.Fiaba
	7.Si vous saviez!
	8.Carmèn
	9.Je voudrais
	10.Guitare
	11.Si tu le voulais
	12.Dimmi fanciulla

5.Quattro melodie
	1.Laggiù, laggiù!
	2."La fioca anima mia"
	3."Non m'aspettare!"
	4.Per l'amore d'Amore

6.A Greyswood
	1.Mattinata
	2.Sonnet
	3.Zitta!
	4.Vecchio stornello

7.Per lei
	1."Io ricordo, madonna, quella sera"
	2."E come i maggi vengon per le rose"
	3."Dalla pioggia le foblie ancor bagnate"
	4."Io vi vorrei veder tutta baciata"
	5."Ed ecco il sogno"
I have a way of organizing my files that helps my work flow, and I'd like to get this figured out before I start sorting files into their respective folders.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

You can upload them as collections even if they were assembled by Tosti's publisher as long as they were issued in Tosti's lifetime with (presumably) his approval. We also now have in place a means of uploading collections of any type - including those put together long after a composer's death by others. All you do is add a page under the title of the collection and include the following field in the "General Information" section: |Page Type=Collection . One can even do this when you are creating the page by putting in a couple of spaces in a field you won't be using and adding the pipe-symbol and field name mentioned above.
haydenmuhl
active poster

Post by haydenmuhl »

Looks like I'm closing in on the end of this project. I'm currently in the middle of uploading volume 12. I have processed volume 13 into PDFs, and volume 14 is sitting on my computer as raw scans.

At this point, the bulk of the works that most singers would be interested in (i.e. the Italian songs) are available on IMSLP. Volume 11 was the last volume of Tosti's English songs, so all of his English songs are also available. Interestingly, this puts Tosti in the position of the composer with the second most English language songs on IMSLP, after Stephen Foster.

Once I'm done with this, would it be possible to make an announcement on the IMSLP blog?