Schoenberg has died 71 years ago (string suite in G)

Moderator: kcleung

raya.sh
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Schoenberg has died 71 years ago (string suite in G)

Post by raya.sh »

Please, review this scores: http://imslp.org/wiki/Suite_for_String_ ... g,_Arnold)
I badly need them for my college graduation project :cry:
raya.sh

Re: Schoenberg has died 71 years ago (string suite in G)

Post by raya.sh »

Sorry, actually he died 61 years ago, but his works should have been available for canadian, japanese and other people.
I would order this score on amazon but it will be delivered only in 2 months then.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

Because it is under copyright in the US and the EU, it would be illegal for IMSLP to release it for general download because the company that owns the Canadian servers is located in the US (and of course there's no question of it appearing on the EU server). You'll have to get it from a physical library or buy it, sorry.
jossuk
active poster

Post by jossuk »

If you are in the United States, the score is available from Hal Leonard, catalog number HL 50482511, $20. You should be able to have it in two weeks.
raya.sh

Post by raya.sh »

Unfortunately [from the point of view of item-procurement time] i live in siberia. When i ordered Scott Joplin from america it had been delivered only in 2 monthes.
Schoenberg's other pieces written in the same period as Suite are free for download, only String Suite is under review :oops:
raya.sh

Post by raya.sh »

Could you tell me, where can I buy scanned copy of this score? I need them right now [as soon as possible].
I want to write work about Schoenberg's interpretation of suite as a genre, I have analyzed suite op.25, but it's not enough for graduation project.
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

raya.sh wrote:Schoenberg's other pieces written in the same period as Suite are free for download
The pieces that are not blocked were published prior to 1923, which makes them in the public domain in the United States. The item you want was published in the 1930s, which is after the 1923 cutoff. This means it is still covered by copyright in the US. Since it is also still under copyright in the EU, it is blocked. IMSLP has no servers in countries that have life+50 terms of copyright, so there is no way to unblock this. I don't really know which companies ship to Siberia, but you will have to purchase the work.
bsteltz
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

If Schoenberg's other works from the same period as the suite (composed 1934, premiered and published 1935) - the violin concerto (1934-36), for instance- are available- that's surprising- though I should note that the suite comes from a 4-year period in his output, between his opus 35 6 Stücke for Mens' Chorus (1929-30, published 1930 and his violin concerto, in which few finished works seem to have been coming from his pen- maybe he was working on Moses und Aron at the time??... (I doubt Op.35 is public domain either except perhaps in Canada only and am surprised if you have found it so! Likewise the wind quintet op.26 and other important works inbetween- the 3rd string quartet op.30 (1927, published 1929), the Satires op.27, the opera Von Heute auf Morgen Op.32 (1928-29, publication history a bit complicated but basically 1929/30 or so), the Variations op.31 (1926-28, published 1929) etc. All first published after 1922. Only, i think, if the publisher had failed to renew copyright in the USA, might they be public domain now, and these publishers I think were often on the ball about such things but I am guessing a bit.)

(There are English-language versions of all those links- replace =de with =en.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Schoenberg was very much on the ball about renewing his copyrights, as were his heirs. The Los Angeles publisher Belmont Music (Belmont being the French equivalent of the German Schoenberg) was started by Schoenberg's family and is still run by them today. We do now have the ability to check on renewals, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.