Fantasia on Greensleeves, Vaughan Williams

Moderator: kcleung

saskharp
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Fantasia on Greensleeves, Vaughan Williams

Post by saskharp »

Hi!

I am trying to access the score and parts for Fantasia on Greensleeves by Vaughan Williams who died in 1958. The piece was composed in 1934. I live in Saskatchewan, Canada and I understand that this work is now accessible based on the "life +50 years" copyright term. I am not able to view this score, please let me know if it is possible.

Thank you!

Cecile Denis
KGill
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Fantasia on Greensleeves, Vaughan Williams

Post by KGill »

The piece is not accessible to anyone, sorry. This is essentially because the legal entity that owns IMSLP (Project Petrucci LLC) is located in the United States, and therefore it would be breaking US law for pieces under copyright there to be downloaded from IMSLP's main servers, even though they're in Canada. The only way US-copyrighted items can be accessed is through the EU server, which is legally unaffiliated - but that only works if the item in question is public domain in the EU. Since no work by Vaughan Williams meets that criterion, I'm afraid you will have to either wait until 2029 or purchase the piece, unless at some point an unaffiliated Canadian server is set up or Project Petrucci LLC moves to Canada (neither being very likely).