Search of score

Moderator: kcleung

chadefontgalland
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Search of score

Post by chadefontgalland »

Hi, I'm new on IMSLP. A friend of mine told me that I could look for scores by requesting an effectif (for example : scores for 5 voices).
I conduct an acappela group of five signers (SATBB), and it's not easy to find scores that fit.

Is it possible ? If so, how can I proceed ?

Thank you very much for your help,

Geoffroy
steltz
active poster

Re: Search of score

Post by steltz »

1) In the left column, find "Instrumentation/Genre" and click on it.
2) In the box at the top type "5 voices" and press enter.

You will see a list of choices, i.e. 5 voices alone, 5 voices with organ, etc. Click on any that interest you. The difficult part is that the list is titles, and you can't see voice types from that. Also, vocal works are not often categorized by voice type because it seems to be highly personal, and sometimes mezzos can take soprano repertoire, etc.

However, when you click on a work, you will find that people have often filled in the instrumentation field at the bottom of the work page with "SATTB" or whatever, so you won't have to download absolutely everything, but you might have to download some.

Also, look in the information box for the individual editions -- if it says "manuscript" and you don't feel like typesetting something, you can save yourself the time in downloading those.

Have fun exploring . . .
bsteltz
Choralia
Site Admin

Re: Search of score

Post by Choralia »

Scores on CPDL are specifically categorized for voicing. If you use the "Multi-Category Search" function and select "5 voices" plus "SATBB" plus "A cappella", you get 70 results.

On CPDL a search script exists, named Multi-site search, which searches "in parallel" both the CPDL and the IMSLP websites. If you select "SATBB" and the "all words in page text" option, you get around 100 results overall.

Max