Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Seeking Handelian-sounding piece for strings and continuo

Post by Lyle Neff »

Hello, everyone,

I've been absent forever. Oh, well.

I'd appreciate any leads for this information.

Anyway, I was wondering whether any of you could identify this piece for strings and continuo that sounds as if it came from the pen of Handel, or at least one of his British contemporaries. Possibly an interlude or dance of some sort from an opera or oratorio, or a piece from some collection of orchestral music. (I've already perused the thematic catalog, from the 1970s, I think, of Handel's works, but didn't find anything that matched, or I missed something).

Here is a rudimentary 2-part score showing the melody and at least functional bass-line as I render them from this promotional announcement from a near-area public radio station:

"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
DavidHamlin

Re: Seeking Handelian-sounding piece for strings and continu

Post by DavidHamlin »

Yeah its not Handel, and also whatever program you used didn't get the first measures right... no 8th notes till the runs at measure 3. Not sure otherwise, it sounds like its from either a suite or concerto, definitely full string ensemble. 2 Violins, Viola, Cello, Harpsichord would be my best guess at instrumentation.
DavidHamlin

Re: Seeking Handelian-sounding piece for strings and continu

Post by DavidHamlin »

correction to my previous post. It is Handel, its a bourrée probably from a suite.