Edition versus publication

Moderator: kcleung

Notenschreiber
active poster

Edition versus publication

Post by Notenschreiber »

How do we handle this here at IMSLP? Is it the same or not, especially if copyright questions are concerned? For example: If a library make his scores (manuscripts) available for everyone, i would say that they are now published (in german: "veröffentlicht"). But if somebody make a modern typeset with correction of mistakes, modernization of notation, providing parts out of a score or a score out of parts, etc. of such a manuscript, this a (first) Edition, but not a first publication. Am i right?
KGill
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Edition versus publication

Post by KGill »

I don't think the distinction exists in English in the same way it does in German. In the context of printed and disseminated works, an edition is a publication, so the terms 'first edition' and 'first publication' are for virtually all purposes here equivalent. I would suggest that veröffentlicht in the example you mentioned would in English be better rendered as something like 'considered to be published under European law' for the sake of clarity, as simply saying it was published would imply a print publication (which it is not).