In questa tomba oscura

Moderator: kcleung

Eric
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

In questa tomba oscura

Post by Eric »

Noticed a number of uploads of different settings of Carpani's poem In questa tomba oscura, by Beethoven, Czerny and others, awhile back. According to RISM, the following seems to be true, if I understand right...

This was part of one of those multi-composer-request collections, like the Diabelli Variations (the one Beethoven was originally asked to contribute to and which led to his big set, I mean, not his own set), the Hexameron, the Waltz Set of the late 20th century to which Roger Sessions and others contributed, etc., I think, for which a single publisher asked a number of composers to submit compositions on a single theme or- in this case, settings of a text. (A relative of this idea-- is all those creations of the Belaieff circle where friends of the much esteemed Russian publisher Belaieff would create collaborative pieces in his honor that would then be performed at soirees at his estate, I think, and published by him...) Unfortunately RISM doesn't identify the publisher of the various "In questa tomba oscura" works either I think..., so anyway, the NoPubID template, not just n.p., n.d. should probably be used to put these things in the proper category :)

({{NoPubID|1808}} Plate (etc). In this case.)

Eric