Haydn Symphony #80

Moderator: kcleung

kkrelove
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Haydn Symphony #80

Post by kkrelove »

There is a score but no parts for this symphony on the IMSLP-EU server. I have a set of parts in my possession for the next week. They are reproduced manuscript (like the old Broadway pit parts from pre-Finale/Sibelius days). There is no date of publication on any of the parts nor any notice of copyright. Clearly, the "last author" has been dead for 204 years. Karl Geiringer is credited as editor (1900-1989) but my understanding of U.S. copyright is that editing that doesn't change the substance or character of a work is not eligible for protection.

Are these acceptable to upload? I'm a long-time user of IMSLP but have never before contributed anything (except money), so I'm not sure how to apply the U.S. protection limit you describe with no clear publication date of the parts themselves available (obviously the content itself qualifies for PD status).

If these parts are appropriate to upload, would I upload them to the IMSLP-EU server to keep them with the score, or doesn't it matter (I haven't looked that far into the upload process yet)?

Thanks,
Karl Krelove
Choralia
Site Admin

Re: Haydn Symphony #80

Post by Choralia »

I would suggest to upload parts, so that copyright reviewers can check them and evaluate their copyright status. Most likely these parts will not qualify for copyright protection in Canada and in Europe, where editor's additions (if any) require a higher threshold of originality to obtain "life + 50 years" (Canada) or "life + 70 years" (Europe) protection. The minimum threshold of originality to qualify for copyright in the U.S. may be more debatable. The 25 years term foreseen for the so-called "urtext" editions should not be applicable, as these scores are certainly older than 25 years.

Depending on the results of the copyright assessment performed by the copyright reviewers, these parts will be automatically moved to the appropriate server. You don't need to do anything special when uploading. A different procedure only applies for works that are public domain in the U.S. and not in Canada, which seems quite unlikely in this case.

Max
kkrelove

Re: Haydn Symphony #80

Post by kkrelove »

Thank you. I'll begin scanning the parts later today.

Karl