Erm, is this a legitimate mirror or something else?

Moderator: kcleung

Eric
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Erm, is this a legitimate mirror or something else?

Post by Eric »

Google directed me to "limited9gold.net" when I was looking for something- seems to be a mirror of at least part of IMSLP, and at least claims to be a Wiki (wasn't going to register and sign in)- for all I know, it might be like petruccimusiclibrary, just an alternate way of accessing imslp (or a few similar things, e.g. mail.imslp.org &c which require separate login sessions). I admit to confusion though so wanted to ask what it was, and if no one had heard of it, might as well mention it, too... not that I imagine that it necessarily does much harm (... I don't know, actually.)
imslp
Site Admin

Re: Erm, is this a legitimate mirror or something else?

Post by imslp »

Actually I don't know what that site is. IMSLP has a few mirrors but nothing as shady as that (mostly universities or at least with a imslp.info domain name).
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Could you please give your Google search terms? I tried to login from a 'limited9gold.net' page and I obtained the imslp page! 'nslookup limited9gold.net' gives 192.95.29.59, the imslp IP!
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Oh, that answers my question- I should have checked that in fact with nslookup. Thanks. Sorry! (I was looking specifically for a Boisdeffre work just then, to do some filling-in stuffs. :D )

Though- it's odd that IMSLP has not heard of it...
Last edited by Eric on Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: whoops, redundant, Eric. Ok, but yes, that's true. Thanks again! erm... er... wait.
Choralia
Site Admin

Post by Choralia »

Quite odd. The limited9gold.net domain was registered in March 2013, and probably used for a short time only. Some traces of the website, dated August 2013, remain available on archive.org:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130710042 ... efault.asp

Probably at that time the domain name was associated to the current IMSLP's IP address, and DNS servers around the world still resolve it that way, causing this odd behavior. DNS servers will gradually "forget" this association, and the problem will disappear. Anyway, I guess that Feldmahler will soon configure the server so as not to serve requests relevant to limited9gold.net.

Max