Is there a place...

Moderator: kcleung

neilthecellist
regular poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Is there a place...

Post by neilthecellist »

... where I can discuss conducting/teaching a piece of music? Judging from the recent user-activity on the forums [or rather decreasingly thereof] I was wondering if there was another place where I can go for a serious music education/conducting discussion.
chamberpianist

decreasing activity

Post by chamberpianist »

It is now two months since the IMSLP site was closed (which was quoted initially as a period necessary to reopen the site), and still there is no visible progress (despite promises to do so), so no wonder interest is decreasing. I acknowledge that there may be much work to do, but I cannot understand that Feldmahler and his admins do not accept the numerous offers for help.

Why did they not accept the offer from Paul Fleury to take over ?

There have been so many contributors, investing their private time to supply the scanned scores, which is lost to the public as long as the site is closed.

I am looking often at the forums, hoping to see some definite sign of progress, but even a few days ago Arcticwind7 said they do not know when the site will be open again, so even I feel that hope of a reopening
is dwindling.

I think that it is really a pity that all the score which are without doubt in the public domain are not made available (at least as an interim solution), so much interesting material which was available on IMSLP cannot be found elsewhere on the internet.

Let's hope that finally IMSLP is coming up again with all the wonderful music, so that all the effort from the community is not lost.
imslp
Site Admin

Re: decreasing activity

Post by imslp »

chamberpianist wrote:It is now two months since the IMSLP site was closed (which was quoted initially as a period necessary to reopen the site), and still there is no visible progress (despite promises to do so), so no wonder interest is decreasing. I acknowledge that there may be much work to do, but I cannot understand that Feldmahler and his admins do not accept the numerous offers for help.
There is no visual progress, true, but that doesn't mean there is no progress period ;) I'm reluctant to post all details publically because I do not want UE to meddle anymore in this affair.
Why did they not accept the offer from Paul Fleury to take over ?
I've asked Carolus to contact Paul Fleury, but unfortunately he was quite busy the last couple of weeks (and contacting several other potential sponsors). I must say here that Carolus has been extremely supportive during this affair, and I thank him greatly for the time he has dedicated to contacting various parties with regards to legal issues in the continuing of IMSLP.

And I do hope Paul will be able to provide the crucial support necessary for the resurrection of IMSLP.
There have been so many contributors, investing their private time to supply the scanned scores, which is lost to the public as long as the site is closed.

I am looking often at the forums, hoping to see some definite sign of progress, but even a few days ago Arcticwind7 said they do not know when the site will be open again, so even I feel that hope of a reopening
is dwindling.
I unfortunately cannot prevent the decrease of user activity on the forums. I can, however, offer an explanation of why IMSLP is not online yet.

Many many people have offered to continue or support IMSLP, and I am extremely grateful for this. However, unfortunately, things are not so simple and clear cut. I have to judge, first, how far the potential sponsor is willing to go for IMSLP, and second, how far their legal support is going to let them go for IMSLP. Getting IMSLP up for a few days is not too hard; but making it stay up is, however, not as easy.

For people who would like situation updates (as in, IMSLP being back online), you can simply click the "Subscribe" link on the IMSLP temporary main page (you need to be logged in first though). You will get e-mail notices when that page changes.

Happy holidays, and no, IMSLP is not dead.
chamberpianist

Post by chamberpianist »

I am very happy that some progress is being made and I can understand your argument to not publish every move before the future strategy is watertight.

So, please do not assume the waning of traffic in the forums is a sign of waning interest in a resurrection of IMSLP - I, as no doubt many others, have many rare scores which we would like to share with the rest of the musical world.

I wish you and your coworkers success soon - if financial support would be needed the community would certainly be willing to contribute, I would also think that some sort of advertisment (e.g. like on the sourceforge pages) would not be disturbing to the users as long as it is not too intrusive.

Do go on and make IMSLP a neverending success !
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I personally would not like advertising with the following exceptions:

It is more of a partnership between the two (you link to me I link to you)
Or if it somehow beneficial to users (how to get Hard Copies of scores)

This is just me however.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

In relation to the topic of the title post (which seems to have been lost) I also ask if there is any active forums where intelligent music discussion can be found?

I've been looking for a while...
lcrighton

Post by lcrighton »

ArcticWind7 wrote:In relation to the topic of the title post (which seems to have been lost) I also ask if there is any active forums where intelligent music discussion can be found?

I've been looking for a while...
What type of music are you interested in discussing? I know of a few email lists. Newsgroups are not what they used to be, but still worth reading as long as you filter out the noise.
Io la Musica son, ch'ai dolci accenti
So far tranquillo ogni turbato core,
Et or di nobil ira et or d'amore
Poss'infiammar le più gelate menti.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Theory, Harmony, History, Composition and news basically.
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

Funny that the post veered off topic. For the music discussions, in addition to this forum, is it a good idea to link to other forums as well which are related, for example the Mozart forum and the CPDL forum?
neilthecellist
regular poster

Post by neilthecellist »

I want to discuss Elgar's Introduction and Allegro (edit, you need to go on Google, type in "Introduction and Allegro." It's the 7th link, I believe, the Google Books Result).

Google says on the first page that they, (Google) proudly hosts the file without legal worries.

(Besides, who would be DUMB enough to sue google? That's like asking for billions of Google lawyers to counter-sue your butt til you're bankrupt yourself.

Anyway, I'd like to know where I can discuss such a piece, as well as conducting technique in general.
Last edited by neilthecellist on Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

The score, unlike the recording is legal and out of copyright.

And Google has had lots of companies sue them for breach of copyright and win:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_ ... #Copyright
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Corp ... puter#2007
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_ ... gal_issues

Although not all are successful, the do settle out of court which ends up them getting money or other things without the expense of court.
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

The link to Elgar's Introduction and Allegro for Strings on Google seems to be broken. Anyway, the lawsuit (and subsequent out of court settlement) on Google only reinforces my notion that these music publishers only go for the small and defenseless entities like IMSLP which does not have the financial ability to defend itself from lawsuits, rather than go for the big potatoes which more often that not are able to countersue the music publishers successfully.