Rite of Spring

Moderator: kcleung

ThaSchwab
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Rite of Spring

Post by ThaSchwab »

Can anyone provide me with a link to the website with the Rite of Spring score? The one that the IMSLP linked to before it was closed down? I can understand if it was part of the website, but atm I don't have enough time to download the score from another website I found (it's in 3 parts, and I don't feel like waiting 1 1/2 hours for the Rapidshare free download limit to reset).

Also, if this is in the wrong forum, I'm sorry but as you can see I'm new here.
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

The one on IMSLP was quite possibly scanned by someone here (unless you remember otherwise). We do not allow posting of links to websites that are not reliable (that is including rapidshare). If it is on CPDL, or something similar, that is fine. But no emails PMS, or links.
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

The Dover edition is pretty cheap, if you want a hardcopy.
$9 for the miniature score:
http://store.doverpublications.com/0486411745.html

Or $13 for the full size:
http://store.doverpublications.com/0486258572.html

Lots of places online will likely have it cheaper.

Granted, it's not free, but for such largely orchestrated music, it's often hard to follow on a screen, IMO.

-Lala-
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

it's often hard to follow on a screen
It's hard to follow period. :P
lcrighton

Post by lcrighton »

Melodia wrote:The Dover edition is pretty cheap, if you want a hardcopy. ... Granted, it's not free, but for such largely orchestrated music, it's often hard to follow on a screen, IMO.
I have Dover reprints of other things, and they are well worth the money!! Even if you found it free online, it would cost time, paper & ink to print (and not be as good as the book), and you would need a paper copy to follow that score!
Io la Musica son, ch'ai dolci accenti
So far tranquillo ogni turbato core,
Et or di nobil ira et or d'amore
Poss'infiammar le più gelate menti.
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

You might also be interested in the edition of The Rite of Spring published by Boosey and Hawkes, even though it is more expensive than the Dover edition:
http://www.boosey.com/pages/shop/produc ... =604525&a=
kongming819
active poster

It's here!

Post by kongming819 »

This is the site where IMSLP got the score from (albeit it is in separate parts) http://nlib.org.ua/parts/orchestra1.html
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Considering that is where IMSLP got the score (I remember), it would be redundant of me to edit out the link. Can someone assure me that the scores there (at least of the Stravinsky), are PD in the US (where these forums are held)?
kongming819
active poster

Post by kongming819 »

They must've been, considering the fact that the IMSLP file itself was hosted on the US server (imslp.ca) and thus they are probably public domain in the US but not in Canada. This also makes sense when one thinks about the fact that Dover sells a reprint of a public domain version (1913 version, reprint of 1965 Muzika) of the Rite of Spring in the US, and we all know that (most if not all) Dover scores are in the public domain.

I'm pretty sure that the version on the website which I provided is the original 1913 version (one of the most telltale signs can be found one measure after rehearsal 121: eighths instead of the 1947's triplet quarters).

Which reminds me: the difference between the Dover and the B&H scores are the versions (1913 and 1947 respectively). There are a few salient differences between two (such as the one I pointed out in the "Evocation of the Ancestors", among others). To some (such as myself) they are big differences when one listens in detail, but to others (such as those who wish to get a general idea of what the piece sounds like) it makes no difference. I must also warn against the Fantasia version (it has been cut up, rearranged, and I think re-orchestrated).
kongming819
active poster

Post by kongming819 »

Yagan Kiely wrote:
it's often hard to follow on a screen
It's hard to follow period. :P
heh heh...not for someone who has listened to it and followed in the score about 500 times (no exaggeration!) :P
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

The score mentioned above from the Russian or Ukranian site is a very odd one that was quite unknown to me prior to IMSLP. It's NOT the 1965 Muzika score that both Dover and Kalmus reprint. It appears to be a production of the Kiev branch of Muzika (The USSR State Music Publisher) dating from sometime in the 1970s. It's a different engraving altogether, with a very unusual heighth-to-width ratio (the pages are much taller relative to width than is usually encountered). I have no idea what source was consulted in its preparation.

Muzika seemed to re-engrave works from time to time for no apparent reason apart from keeping their engravers busy. Corporate music publishers, by contrast, re-engrave only if the existing material is so full of mistakes that it's required or if there's no longer a halfway decent image left to print from. Engraving is still expensive - even though programs like Sibelius and Finale have brought down the costs somewhat in the last two decades. A complicated contemporary orchestral work can cost $USD 25 per page or more - a risky investment for an item that might sell 100 copies a year if one is very fortunate. Some of today's composers have become expert engravers as well, which helps considerably.
kongming819
active poster

Post by kongming819 »

Unknown to me too! Though it is not the same reprint, it has the same layout (the same measures on each page). Therefore, I believe that your statement is very true and I also believe that their source was indeed the main Muzika score (Dover/Kalmus reprint). I was just looking at the two scores (the "Kiev" on the screen, the Dover in my lap) and found that it is indeed the same format. The only differences are the terms used (ex. 1965 Muzika uses "Flatterzunge" while this "Kiev Muzika" edition uses "frullato", another ex. Fl III = Fl. Picc. II or Fl III muta Picc. II)

Yeah, that was the first thing I noticed about that: the weird height-to-width ratio.

I still prefer the Boosey & Hawkes Masterworks edition... :P

Wow! That expensive?? No wonder engraving programs are becoming more and more popular...I myself use Finale PrintMusic 2008.
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

Hmm, I also thought the "Kiev" edition and the Muzika (Dover/Kalmus reprint) were the same since both have the same layout and the number of pages. However, even though both are different editions, the fact that the score layout for both is so similar implies that both are from the same source, perhaps from the same plates?
kongming819
active poster

Post by kongming819 »

.......I think the source is actually Stravinsky's own handwritten full score (which Monteux used at the premiere) because I once saw a sample of the score and I compared it to the Dover of the same two pages...and guess what? It was nearly identical! :lol:

Of course, I may be wrong or I may have confused something out of loss of sleep........
Vivaldi
active poster

Post by Vivaldi »

And since Dover's edition is a reprint of the Muzyka edition, it might be possible that they used the handwritten score by Stravinsky as the source?