How to expunge copyright block.

Moderator: kcleung

David Cameron
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

How to expunge copyright block.

Post by David Cameron »

On April 25 & 26, as a new contributor, I indicated on the Upload Scores form that my scores (two original works and two transcriptions)should be under Creative Commons licensing; but I forgot that original copyright notices were printed in the scores. As a result, the reviewer quite properly posted this notice:

All works by this person are still under copyright in Canada, the EU, Japan, and elsewhere and are thus subject to deletion. The works are also probably copyrighted in the U.S. if first published after 1923.

On April 27, I replaced the offending scores with corrected versions showing the Creative Commons license.

I have also posted different scores since, with correct notices. I believe that all the scores accessible through work pages are now OK.

Could some kind administrator now please remove the copyright block and allow general access to my material?

Thanks very much

David
cypressdome
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: How to expunge copyright block.

Post by cypressdome »

David,

What you are seeing is the standard "boilerplate" copyright notice that is used for all living people (composers, arrangers, editors, etc.) because their works are still protected by copyright until such time as they automatically enter the public domain (50 years postmortem author in Canada and 70 years postmortem author in the EU). You still hold the copyright to your works and for 50/70 years after your death your heirs will hold that copyright but because you have elected to publish your works under a Creative Commons license that license will be in effect on those works until those works enter the public domain and then even the very limited restrictions of the CC license will be stripped from them. Glancing through your scores it appears that all are currently available for anyone to download and all are listed under a CC license.