Suggestion: Addition of a category for "Works dedicated to [name]"

Moderator: kcleung

felixblumenfeld
regular poster

Suggestion: Addition of a category for "Works dedicated to [name]"

Post by felixblumenfeld »

The box entitled "General Information" at the bottom of each page devoted to a work usually provides the names of the dedicatees. There is also a listing of categories that make it possible to see a given work appear as part of a list (librettist, piece style, etc.). I was wondering whether an additional category for "Works dedicated to [name]" could be added. It would serve as a very valuable research resource for music historians and biographers. Dedications are often data items that one finds only by chance when perusing, and it usually takes several years of research to prepare a list of works dedicated to a given person.
mindcrows424
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Suggestion: Addition of a category for "Works dedicated to [name]"

Post by mindcrows424 »

Also looking for the answer.
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

Here is a solution that has just been implemented. It is an "As Dedicatee" tab on people's category pages. I've searched the wiki and have added all the works dedicated to Henri Marteau so that 21 works are listed under that tab on his category page. To add a work to a dedicatee's category page use the template LinkDed in the following format in the Dedication field on the General Information section: {{LinkDed|Henri|Marteau}}. I hope this proves helpful.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Thanks, I have begun the job with Emile Prudent, but how can I be sure I found all relevant works? The dedication fields may vary between à Henri Marteau, to Henri Marteau, to his friend Henri Marteau, to H. Marteau etc. I'm not aware of a logical operator meaning word1 near expression2 with Google.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

coulonnus wrote:Thanks, I have begun the job with Emile Prudent, but how can I be sure I found all relevant works? The dedication fields may vary between à Henri Marteau, to Henri Marteau, to his friend Henri Marteau, to H. Marteau etc. I'm not aware of a logical operator meaning word1 near expression2 with Google.
This works pretty well: search "emile prudent" -"prudent emile" because the dedications have 1st word order and work pages have the second. :-)
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

Try something like this: dedication AROUND(5) Liszt

The result will give you all pages in which both terms appear within 5 words of each other. The number in parentheses can be any value you want.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

cypressdome wrote:Try something like this: dedication AROUND(5) Liszt
Thanks, I learning something! :-)
pierre.chepelov
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by pierre.chepelov »

Hi all,

It would be nice to set up a bot that could do the replacement of every "Dedication={{LinkComp|" and "Dedication={{LinkName|" by "Dedication={{LinkDed|"
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

No, it wouldn't. Practically any automatic substitution routine will create many too many mistakes.