jeff_harrington
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Finnish Music Publisher Selling IMSLP Scores Against License

Post by jeff_harrington »

I stumbled across this music publisher's site last night while self-Googling:

https://www.booky.fi/kirjailija/Jeffrey ... Harrington

My scores are all CC non-comm, and I suspect it's an automated print mill. Comments? Not sure if I care or not...
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Finnish Music Publisher Selling IMSLP Scores Against License

Post by Carolus »

They are violating the license. You could send them a message pointing out that their violation terminated their CC license the second they offered your work for sale. That's a curious little gotcha about CC.
Peterdyson49
forum adept

Post by Peterdyson49 »

I can't get too upset about this.. is there any difference between me going up to the print shop with the digital file for a good quality hard copy of my music? But why would anyone want to pay 11.20 euros for an unknown quality print off of one of my pieces is beyond me... and wait three weeks as well?

However I shall engage in correspondence with this family and try and go and see them next time I am in Helsinki. My aim would be that they acknowledge the source material on their printed copies. Anyone have any views? Perhaps if lots of us complain.. they might at least acknowledge the source.

So I don't think they can claim to be a publisher... but just a print shop.
And they can't be the only people doing this.
Is the answer to offer to make them a formal ISMLP hard copy distributor in Northern Europe and seek a percentage to go to the Petrucci Library?

Peter Dyson
PS They have a software problem because it describes my music as being published in Russian!.. It must be something about my ip address.

PPS Information from their website
About us
Selling books since 2005!
Booky.fi – online bookstore was founded 2005 and is family-run by Booky.fi Ltd.
In 2016 altogether 42 people work for Booky - at Booky office in Kalastama, Helsinki and at Booky warehouse in Vantaa, near shopping center Jumbo.
Booky.fi is the only fully domestically owned, private online bookstore in Finland. In 2011 Booky became a part of the nationwide Info –bookstore chain.
Our selection consists of all Finnish and approximately 15 million foreign books. You can also order movies, games, music and office supply from us. In addition to traditional bookstore products, Booky also offers logistics and online store services. In 2009 Booky launched the “Omakauppa” –service which allows private customers to buy and sell new or used books to one another.
Private customers, student groups, companies, state department and libraries order from Booky. We deliver orders all around the globe! Domestic orders are delivered without postage.
We’re more than happy to answer all questions about our company! We also highly appreciate all feedback and development proposals.
Contact information
Customer service and other contact information you can find from our customer service page.
Street address:
Booky.fi Oy
Hermannin rantatie 12 A, 5th floor
00580 Helsinki
Fax: +358 9 668 088
VAT-number: 2131125-4
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Could you please post the URL of one of your scores? Does it say CC or "downloaded from imslp" etc. on each page?
Peterdyson49
forum adept

Post by Peterdyson49 »

I still wait their response.
Peter
Peterdyson49
forum adept

Post by Peterdyson49 »

Still no response to a second letter to this " publisher".
url to a page attached which does not show the source as ISMLP

https://www.booky.fi/tuote/dyson_peter/ ... 5884593084

This particular piece for string orchestra has been downloaded 1868 times from IMSLP.... and they are asking 13.90e per copy for 34 pages.
I can get a quality copy in my local print shop for much less!

I will try a third letter! They should at least acknowledge the Petrucci Library as the source!
I hesitate to say "watch this space"!

Peter Dyson