Asking Help about Frescobaldi's Canzoni

Moderator: kcleung

violineroazul
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Asking Help about Frescobaldi's Canzoni

Post by violineroazul »

Dear Friends,
I am uploading materials, and I need some help with some works.

I have a complete scan from Frescobaldi's Canzoni.
The weird thing is that I have two books from two different editions with the name almost the same.
And that books are not the same that we have previously uploaded in IMSLP.
The 1634 book is not yet in that edition in IMSLP, but the 1628 book it is, but different. Because in my edition, I have it as Score, and in IMSLP we have the separate parts.
And I have also another doubt. Speaking only about the 1628 book, if I open the parts, and my score, the music are different, at least the first number it's another piece. But the covers are the same. So, I am thinking in just upload it as score from the parts that we already have, but it's weard that the music are different.

That books are:
1) Il Primo libro delle canzoni ad una, due, tre, e quattro voci, Roma 1628

http://imslp.org/wiki/Canzoni,_Libro_1_ ... _Girolamo)

2) Canzoni da sonare a una, due, tre et quattro, libro primo, Venezia 1634

http://imslp.org/wiki/Canzoni_da_sonare ... _Girolamo)

I will really apreciate any information or suggestion about that.

Thanks.
Roberto
coulonnus
active poster

Re: Asking Help about Frescobaldi's Canzoni

Post by coulonnus »

coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Sorry, but is this discussion restricted to scans of ca. 1630 editions or does it also includes modern editions found at both URLs? Just trying to understand :-)
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

There were at least three Frescobaldi publications which start as ''Canzoni'', and while they share some pieces they are different collections. Here's what the FTCO site says:
According to Darbelay Canzoni (1634) was not published until 1635 or, more likely, early 1636.; see Darbellay )2002), 2: vii-xiii (xxxix-xliii). The contents of the three publications of ensemble canzonas, Canzoni (Masotti, 1628), Canzoni (Robletti, 1628), and Canzoni (1634) are related, but not identical, and the relationships are complicated. A canzona may appear in just one, two or all three publications, and the versions may be identical, slightly different, or radically different. Their order also differs in each of the publications. Their order also differs in each of the publications. Canzoni (Robletti, 1628) was published in partitura (open score) format, whereas Canzoni (Masotti, 1628) and Canzoni (1634) were published as sets of partbooks.
So, the collection pages will need to stand as issued as they are actually diffferent collections, even of they do contain some works in common. As it stands now we have two but the 1628 issues might require separate pages if they differ radically enough in content.
violineroazul

Post by violineroazul »

Thank you Carolus; Your information is really good. So, then, I should upload it as different collections, is not?
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Yes, looking over the FTCO site again, the two 1628 volumes have enough differences that each will likely require its own page. Obviously, the 1634 volume is even more revised in content so a total of 3 collection pages will be needed, even though they are technically three versions of the same thing. Fortunately, the folks at FTCO have already provided a thorough contents listing for each of the volumes. The trick for us will be coming up with a consistent naming to avoid the exact repetition of names in the workpage titles themselves, which I'll address shortly.

Following FTCO (who sort of followed RISM), the "first version" is the open score publication edited by Frescobaldi's student Bartolomeo Grassi published in 1628 by Masotti (which was likely issued after the 1628 partbooks published by Robletti under the composer's own supervision).

*Canzoni, Libro 1a (Masotti, 1628 = FTCO F 8a)
*Canzoni, Libro 1b (Robletti, 1628 = FTCO F 8b)
*Canzoni da sonare a una, due, tre et quattro (Vincenti, 1634 = FTCO F 8c)

Because it's really pretty complicated (as explained by FTCO), three pages are needed just to try to keep it all in semi-coherent order.
pwpalm
notabot2: Bot

Post by pwpalm »

violineroazul wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:44 am The 1634 book is not yet in that edition in IMSLP, but the 1628 book it is, but different. Because in my edition, I have it as Score, and in IMSLP we have the separate parts.
If you have the 1628 Canzoni, Libro 1a (Masotti) score facsimile, *please* upload it. While both the 1628, Libro 1b (Robletti) and 1634/35 (Vincenti) are available, it is the Masotti that I specifically need access to.
Arciom Nesterovich

Post by Arciom Nesterovich »

pwpalm
notabot2: Bot

Post by pwpalm »

That is not a facsimile.