Fanny Mendelssohn

Moderator: kcleung

tkightley
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Fanny Mendelssohn

Post by tkightley »

I was looking for pieces composed by Fanny Mendelssohn but was surprised to see that her name was missing form the list of the Mendelssohns. I did a bit of investigation and found that her married name was Hensel and, yes, she is listed under that name.

As she is, normally, referred to as Fanny Mendelssohn, I would suggest you arrange to have that name included among the Mendelssohns, as well as under Hensel. I expect that could be managed.
Sallen112
active poster

Re: Fanny Mendelssohn

Post by Sallen112 »

Her other name is already included in the "Alternate Names" section. Keep in mind its a pain to have to change the composer page, as we would have to manually move all pages on here composer page to that other name. If her original name was "Hensel" then it needs to be that as we only accept there birth names.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Of course each time I add a composer it shows up in the Category:Composers but could the "Alternative Names/Transliterations" be also appended to this category, with a link to the same Composer page? This becomes a Feature Request. :-)
azumbrunn
forum adept

Post by azumbrunn »

In the case of Fanny I think it is appropriate to list her under her married name. Her husband was the only man in her life who encouraged her to publish her works. Both her father and her brother resisted the idea of a woman (their daughter / sister nota bene!) making a living as a composer with a Victorian stubbornness that is remarkable.