Public Domain, Editor, and Arranger

Moderator: kcleung

rpalmer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Public Domain, Editor, and Arranger

Post by rpalmer »

Greetings -

I'm a relative newbie. I have successfully submitted an arrangement (not my arrangement - I simply did the transcription) for viola of a piece by Handel - #325903. The submission was a long time ago, and I remember virtually nothing about the process.

I have been working on transcribing/transposing traditional fiddle tunes for the viola. In most cases, I transpose the tunes down an octave and use alto clef. I use LilyPond for my transcription and transposition and for creating the PDF. I plan to upload only those tunes which are in the Public Domain. There may be a few tunes for which I can obtain permission from the composer (the tunes may or may not be in the Public Domain), but I would like to deal with that issue later.

My primary question at this time is, for each tune, am I an arranger, an editor, or both?

Also, would IMSLP welcome my submissions?

Can I, should I, also submit my LilyPond source file?

Please let me know if you would like me to separate the above questions into separate threads.

I appreciate your time and attention,

Ralph
cypressdome
active poster

Re: Public Domain, Editor, and Arranger

Post by cypressdome »

You should list yourself as the arranger. You can also upload the LilyPond source file but you will need to archive it and upload it contained in a Zip archive file. Your submissions are certainly welcome. I would suggest that you create a composer category for yourself and then "associate" your IMSLP username with that category. Once you create the category look in the upper right corner for a gear icon that is to the right of "Add Work." When you mouse over the gear you'll see an option for "you are this person (associate)." Doing this should make the submission process easier and all of your arrangements will be listed under your category.
rpalmer

Post by rpalmer »

Thanks for your reply. Knowing how to post properly under my particular circumstances is a relief.
All the best,
Ralph
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

All users are required to have a category page for uploading any typesets (Editions/Compositions/Arrangements), its not optional anymore.