Dataset for Optical Music Recognition

Moderator: kcleung

kwon-young
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Dataset for Optical Music Recognition

Post by kwon-young »

Let me first introduce myself.
My name is Kwon-Young Choi and I'm a PhD student on the subject of Optical Music Recognition (OMR).
In my work, I am using a lot of trainable models called neural networks that need a lot of annotated data to work.
However, it currently doesn't exist any printed score OMR oriented dataset for researcher to be used.
The type of music scores I am searching for are complex, dense, noisy orchestral/piano scores.

Essentially, what I'm asking here is if you, imlsp librarians (or others), had already encounter such very complex scores, and if yes, put a little link to the score on imslp.

This dataset of about 100 scores will be public and usable by anybody, either OMR researcher or musician.

Thanks for your help!

For more precision:
* complex: the music scores should be not trivial to read. examples: polyphonic multi-voice scores, voice that jump from one staff to another, weird rare symbols, ...
* dense: high quantity of symbols in a small zones. These situations produces many segmentation problems that had bothered OMR researcher for a long time.
* noisy: time and bad scanning quality had damaged the music scores, i.e. modern music score produced by recent music editing software with perfect graphic quality is not the purpose of this dataset.
Sallen112
active poster

Re: Dataset for Optical Music Recognition

Post by Sallen112 »

How about 20th century period music scores?
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Perhaps http://archives.nyphil.org/ ? There are symphonies annotated by great modern conductors.
kwon-young

Post by kwon-young »

Sallen112 wrote:How about 20th century period music scores?
Thank you for your advice!
Yes, Edward Guo also advised me to choose scores from composer of the ~19th century.
Another bonus points is that most of these scores are in the Public Domain.

If you as a librarian remembers uploading such kind of music scores, please post a link in this post.
I hope that this will create a first interaction between end-user musician and OMR researcher!
kwon-young

Post by kwon-young »

Sallen112 wrote:How about 20th century period music scores?
Thank you for your advice!
Yes, Edward Guo also advised me to choose scores from composer of the ~19th century.
Another bonus points is that most of these scores are in the Public Domain.

If you as a librarian remembers uploading such kind of music scores, please post a link in this post.
I hope that this will create a first interaction between end-user musician and OMR researcher!
coulonnus wrote:Perhaps http://archives.nyphil.org/ ? There are symphonies annotated by great modern conductors.
Thanks, I will take a look