How to Download XML and what is PDF Processing

Moderator: kcleung

misterbg3
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

How to Download XML and what is PDF Processing

Post by misterbg3 »

I noticed something called 'request PDF Processing' - What is this?

I also noticed that typeset files are compared to XMLs - How can I download the XML instead of a pdf?

Thanks!
coulonnus
active poster

Re: How to Download XML and what is PDF Processing

Post by coulonnus »

misterbg3 wrote:I also noticed that typeset files are compared to XMLs - How can I download the XML instead of a pdf?
Some scores are associated with the XML file e.g. http://www.imslp.org/wiki/Sonata_in_E_m ... Christoph) You can choose between the complete score in pdf and the engraving files in XML.
misterbg3

Post by misterbg3 »

Thanks for replying.
It's not clear to me how I can make the choice.
I only see the option to click the blue underlined title which automatically downloads the PDF
misterbg3

Post by misterbg3 »

My mistake. I see what you mean.
If it says "typeset" and I request PDf processing - do these things suggest I can get the score in xml format or something similar?
Thanks again.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

Engraving files always give you a zip format you have to unzip. Then choose a compatible program in http://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:Typeset_Music_formats and you will obtain a pdf.

How did you obtain the request PDF processing offer? This string is in the html source of quite a few work pages but I don't know what it is for.
misterbg3

Post by misterbg3 »

Thanks again. I obtained it by paying the membership fee. Mostly because I wanted to find out what they were.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

When I log off I can obtain both the pdf and the engraving file immediately. Please provide the work where you had troubles.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

I think now I understand: When I log off there are 2 ads about converting between doc and pdf, above the work title. But here they show up in French. So just ignore them.
misterbg3

Post by misterbg3 »

As an example, here is Mozart Violin concerto No. 2
http://imslp.org/wiki/Violin_Concerto_N ... g_Amadeus)

I see that there is a typeset file for it at the bottom of that page. I can only download it as a pdf but Id really like the engraving file.

Is that possible in this case?
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

No. The engraving file is not present. The awkward Misc Note only says the typesetting - or engraving, transcribing - job was made with Photoscore and Sibelius. Try perhaps the discussion page of this user.
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

the gear icon, right of typeset by ... gives access to Download processed PDF but this is not what you want.
Darsh

Post by Darsh »

coulonnus wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:47 am No. The engraving file is not present. The awkward Misc Note only says the typesetting - or engraving, transcribing - job was made with Photoscore and Sibelius. Try perhaps the discussion page of this user.
If the engraving file is lost and the notice indicates that Photoscore and Sibelius were used, exploring the user's discussion page may reveal insights or other techniques for retrieving or recreating the file.
Darsh

Post by Darsh »

coulonnus wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:25 am I think now I understand: When I log off there are 2 ads about converting between doc and pdf, above the work title. But here they show up in French. So just ignore them.
Got it! If you're seeing ads in French about converting between doc and pdf when logging off, it seems like a localization issue. No worries, just ignore them for a seamless experience.GB whatsapp Apk
DBMiller
active poster

Post by DBMiller »

The advertisements are spam and you should ignore them. There is no way to convert between music PDFs and Microsoft Word (it wouldn't even make sense).

PDF processing is, in effect, an automated process which attempts to generate small black and white PDFs from a color or larger-resolution scan. The process is hit or miss. You cannot get MusicXML from a PDF using PDF processing. You can only download a MusicXML file if the uploader has included one.