new composer, new editor, new work

Moderator: kcleung

leosmit
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

new composer, new editor, new work

Post by leosmit »

I am new at uploading scores on IMSLP and can't seem to figure out how to go about it, no matter how many manuals I read. I am trying to upload an edition of music by a composer who is in the Public Domain and not yet on your website. The person who did the edition is also not yet on IMSLP, although I did manage to create a composer page for him just now. But I don't see how I can add two new composer pages and add this work to both of them. Can someone please guide me? :?
bicinium
active poster

Re: new composer, new editor, new work

Post by bicinium »

When you're on a composer's page, do you see the option "Add work" under "Toolbox" at the top? Click that when you're on the composer's page, not the editor's. Then fill in some details and the work page is created. Once on the work page, go to Add File (at the top of the screen), then Add Scan, then scores/parts/whichever is applicable. In the form that follows, there should be a field labelled "Editor". If you enter the editor's name there (it will autocomplete) then the work will appear on the editor's page under the "As editor" tab.

To be a bit more technical, for composers, works seem to be added to their page by virtue of the title of the work page, which is why you should always do "Add Work" from the composer's page and not that of the editor. For editors, pages get added through the use of the LinkEd template (which is autogenerated by the Add File dialog); and LinkArr for arrangers, LinkCopy for manuscript copyists, etc.

I hope that helped. Please link to the page once you're done. Perhaps it would've been even better for me to look up the instructions and find the parts where it fell short, but eh ;)
leosmit

Post by leosmit »

I think I've done it, though I'm not sure whether a page for the editor, Phillip Silver now exists. For the score, it somehow came up automatically, but not for the parts. Also with the score, I chose the option non-commercial use, but for the parts I could only choose public domain. Is that OK?

The link: https://cn.imslp.org/wiki/Sextet_for_pi ... on,_James)
bicinium
active poster

Post by bicinium »

Ah, the composer made be in the public domain, but the editor is not (since the edition you uploaded is from 2018). Therefore, the edition you uploaded is copyright protected*. If you don't know Phillip Silver and don't have permission from him to uploaded his edition on IMSLP, then stop, because this is a copyright violation. If you do have permission to submit on his behalf, then read on.

Under the "Add file" menu, "Add scan" is for uploading old scores that have fallen into the public domain, whereas "New edition" is for scores for which you have the authority to release them under one of the creative commons licenses. You should've chosen that second option both times (before, I guess you unknowingly chose New Edition for the score and Add Scan for the parts). You see your files have been deleted for this reason. They're strict about this because it's actually not possible to dedicate a work to the public domain in many jurisdictions (that's what the creative commons licenses are meant to solve), and it's important for legal reasons that these things are done correctly.

To establish that you can submit files on someone's behalf, you associate your account with their composer page. In this case, you should create a composer page for Phillip Silver and associate your account with it, but only if you have authorization from him or his estate to release his edition under a creative commons license. The instructions for doing this are here: https://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:Composer_Portal

* If the edition contains no creative additions on the part of the editor and is an accurate reflection of what the composer wrote, then the edition may be considered a scientific edition and will be public domain in the EU in 25 years. Otherwise, it will be public domain 70 years after the death of Phillip Silver (or 50 years in Canada). In both cases, it won't be public domain in the USA for like 90 years or whatever.