Taking requests for reconstructing scores from parts

Moderator: kcleung

AlexKindel
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Taking requests for reconstructing scores from parts

Post by AlexKindel »

Are there any pieces that have parts posted on IMSLP that anyone would like to have full scores for? I'm interested in typesetting some scores using parts. I'd rather stick to things that are public domain everywhere, and ideally things for which full scores don't exist at all or are very hard to find, since it would be a waste of effort to typeset something from scratch that could easily be scanned from an existing source instead.
cypressdome
active poster

Re: Taking requests for reconstructing scores from parts

Post by cypressdome »

How about Louis Spohr's Symphony No.2? We have the complete parts and a conductor's score (3 staves). No full score was issued in the 19th century that I have been able to locate. Worldcat shows only two full scores published in the 20th century: Musikproduktion Höflich's study score which is a facsimile of a copyist's manuscript and Garland's 1987 issue of his symphonies nos. 1, 2, and 5 in a single volume.
Sallen112
active poster

Post by Sallen112 »

If you do the full score, also post the typeset parts as well!
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

One that comes to my mind is https://imslp.org/wiki/Piano_Quintet,_O ... _Ladislav) A scan of a ca. 1900 Breitkopf. Your measure numbers in the parts will be more useful than the present rehearsal letters. :-)
kosboot
forum adept

Post by kosboot »

I've posted parts for silent film music all of which could use a score.

First priority:
Gloria's Romance by Jerome Kern
https://imslp.org/wiki/Gloria's_Romance ... 2C_Jerome)

Three pieces of generic silent film music by Hugo Riesenfeld (particularly Western Allegro):
https://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Riesenfeld,_Hugo
AlexKindel

Post by AlexKindel »

cypressdome wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:36 am How about Louis Spohr's Symphony No.2? We have the complete parts and a conductor's score (3 staves). No full score was issued in the 19th century that I have been able to locate. Worldcat shows only two full scores published in the 20th century: Musikproduktion Höflich's study score which is a facsimile of a copyist's manuscript and Garland's 1987 issue of his symphonies nos. 1, 2, and 5 in a single volume.
I see that there are a couple cases where the rehearsal mark scheme in the parts skips letters. I assume I should skip the same letters in the score to keep them compatible even if I supply a new set of parts?
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

AlexKindel wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:38 am I see that there are a couple cases where the rehearsal mark scheme in the parts skips letters. I assume I should skip the same letters in the score to keep them compatible even if I supply a new set of parts?
I would think that if you include measure numbers on your score and parts the old rehearsal letters could be left out entirely. If we have a good set of typeset parts I can't imagine anyone would play from the nearly 200 year old engraved parts. Hopefully, others will post their opinions on that.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

cypressdome wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:36 am How about Louis Spohr's Symphony No.2? We have the complete parts and a conductor's score (3 staves). No full score was issued in the 19th century that I have been able to locate. Worldcat shows only two full scores published in the 20th century: Musikproduktion Höflich's study score which is a facsimile of a copyist's manuscript and Garland's 1987 issue of his symphonies nos. 1, 2, and 5 in a single volume.
Acc to Brown, the first symphony too did not exist in printed engraved form at least in 1871 and may still not today. (I'm mistaken; see below. The "may still not today, btw, was my insertion, I think, not Brown.)
AlexKindel

Post by AlexKindel »

An update on the Spohr - I've been leisurely about it but I have all the notes in for the 2nd symphony. What remains is resolution of inconsistencies and formatting.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Re symphony no.1, Bert Hagels' series of (typeset, I assume) editions for Ries & Erler includes this work as of 2007. Ries & Erler published Hagels' edition of symphony no.2 in 2006. So unless I'm mistaken about Hagels' editions being typeset, it seems that an engraved edition of symphony no.2 does exist...
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Worldcat also shows this , which I also failed to catch.
AlexKindel

Post by AlexKindel »

coulonnus wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:53 am One that comes to my mind is https://imslp.org/wiki/Piano_Quintet,_O ... _Ladislav) A scan of a ca. 1900 Breitkopf. Your measure numbers in the parts will be more useful than the present rehearsal letters. :-)
In this one I run into trouble in the very first bar: in the left hand of the piano, the fast notes start on the fourth 16th of the of the first beat, and summing the durations backward from the end of the bar suggests that they last until the fourth 16th of the the second beat. That means six notes spread over the space of a quarter note. This conflicts with what's written in two ways. One, that rhythm would normally be written with two beams, which is fewer than the fast notes in the right hand, while the source uses four beams, which is more - should the notes in the left hand be faster than the ones in the right, then, or slower? And two, the alignment of those six notes is such that if they were played evenly, the second beat lands halfway through the second note.

Perhaps the dotted eighth at the beginning of the bar is wrong, and the fast notes should start later. My best guess is that the 64ths should be thought of as straight (not contracted into a tuplet) and the real length of the chord should be a quarter tied to a dotted 16th. The other alternative that seems possible is that the 64ths are a sextuplet, lasting a 16th, so that the chord should be a dotted quarter.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

The Dussek quintet does exist in widely-distributed though not free score and parts as of 1995 - Wollenweber-Verlag. (I gather their 1971 edition had no score but their 1995 edition does?)
AlexKindel

Post by AlexKindel »

kosboot wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:56 pm I've posted parts for silent film music all of which could use a score.

First priority:
Gloria's Romance by Jerome Kern
https://imslp.org/wiki/Gloria's_Romance ... 2C_Jerome)
In this one, I notice that some of the parts have cues labeled "horn," but there is no horn part. What's up with that?
coulonnus
active poster

Post by coulonnus »

AlexKindel wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:26 am

In this one I run into trouble in the very first bar: in the left hand of the piano, the fast notes start on the fourth 16th of the of the first beat, and summing the durations backward from the end of the bar suggests that they last until the fourth 16th of the the second beat [...]
Change the 4 beams of the first 6 fast notes into 3 beams. What are the US and British words?

There will be such troubles in almost all scores you process. :-)