Dreams of integration with Hofmeister XIX

Moderator: kcleung

kosboot
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Dreams of integration with Hofmeister XIX

Post by kosboot »

Earlier today I was trying to date a work published by Breitkopf by going to its IMSLP page. Darn: the gap between plate numbers listed was very wide, and the later plate number had an earlier date than the earlier plate number.

So I checked on Hofmeister XIX: http://www.hofmeister.rhul.ac.uk/2008/index.html. Bingo - there it was exactly and gave me month and year. So that got me to thinking: what if we had a group of people integrating relevant IMSLP listings with Hofmeister XIX. Wow what a source that could be. Of course, it would take a large number of people and a few years, but...as the world moves closer to linked data, it seems to be a worthy project.

Is anyone doing this already?
Eric
active poster

Re: Dreams of integration with Hofmeister XIX

Post by Eric »

hopefully not. The whole thing about Hofmeister XIX is one has to understand what it isn’t...
kosboot
forum adept

Post by kosboot »

"What it isn't..." It's not definitive, but in many cases it's awfully close. Perhaps another project would be to integrated some of the books of Alexander Weinmann with what's here.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

Fairly sure I wasn’t clear.
What it isn’t at all, “awfully close” or otherwise: an attempt to register first publication dates (or even first in the 1828-1900 period.)
The source publication that was OCR’d and which then Hofmeister XIX is a searchable database from registers publications received for advertising. HMB’s “first appearance date” can be wildly inaccurate upsettingly often (many French, Belgian, Italian, Spanish, Dutch and Scandinavian publications appear later than provable earlier publication dates.)
kosboot
forum adept

Post by kosboot »

"...many French, Belgian, Italian, Spanish, Dutch and Scandinavian publications..."

Huh? Hofmeister XIX barely has any non-German publications listed (pretty much only if they were distributed jointly with a German firm). Many, many plate numbers of German publications reveal a date which is either exactly or almost exactly the year listed in Hofmeister.

I think if one had a system, say a footnote, which indicated the source of the date was from Hofmeister XIX that would be perfectly acceptable since everyone would know the limitations of the source.
cypressdome
active poster

Post by cypressdome »

kosboot,

Users have been utilizing Hofmeister's Monatsbericht to provide dates of publication on IMSLP since 2011. We have two templates that will link to the image of the page from Hofmeister's Monatsbericht as hosted by the Austrian National Library: HMB and HMBref. HMB is used for linking within the publication field for a particular score and HMBref is used in comment fields. I just created a category page to show the number of pages we have using these templates: Pages with References to Hofmeister's Monatsbericht. If you wanted to use Hofmeister's Monatsbericht to document publication dates within the plate tables of music publishers I would suggest we create a new HMB template that displays the date as YYYY with it being a link to the page from Hofmeister's Monatsbericht. This way the reference is built into the year displayed (no need for footnotes or an additional column for notes/comments) and even if the Austrian National Library were to take down their digital images the template will contain the year and page number for future reference.