Do we need a category Black composers?

Moderator: kcleung

kosboot
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Do we need a category Black composers?

Post by kosboot »

The subject says it all. Not only composers, but should there be categories for Black composers, lyricists, and librettists? I feel there should be. I'd be interested to hear how others feel.
Hobbypianist
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Do we need a category Black composers?

Post by Hobbypianist »

I don't know....well, then we have to ask in the sense of equal treatment: what about "White composers" (and other "colors" which else exist....) That would be really strange and I'm not sure if this is necessary or a desired search criterion.
These are all great composers, librettists, etc. no matter which "color" they have or don't have!
The next one might ask then to introduce "heterosexual" or "homosexual" composer categories. Not sure if this would be a helpful enhancement on IMSLP, actually one can already add external links to Wikipedia for instance or to other websites where people can read more about the composers and their life.
In general I don't really want such expressions to find their way into a music site at all. Let all these people just be composers and enjoy their wonderful works. (Also, not to mention the amount of work to re-tag all existing categories.)

Just my two cents... but fortunately I don't have to decide this myself. If majority agrees to add this, it's ok for me.
HP